Rolling Out the Red Carpet

Following in the footsteps of Troy Bolton, I left my basketball career behind and joined the STA musical this year.

I’m a big believer in trying new things. As a naturally curious person, I’m always eager to find something fun and innovative to do. Whether that’s eating unfamiliar foods, picking up a hobby or partaking in an experience for the first time, trying something new always makes me feel more accomplished. 

When I decided that I wasn’t going to play basketball this year, I knew that I needed something to fill my after-school time slot. So, following in the footsteps of everyone’s favorite basketball star, “High School Musical’s” Troy Bolton, I decided to try something completely out of my comfort zone: the STA Musical. 

As you can probably guess, I have absolutely zero experience with musicals. I have no singing or acting background, and the closest I’ve ever come to theater was my eighth-grade play, which was canceled due to COVID-19. But, despite my lack of experience, I had very little stress about the process. I just wanted to be in the ensemble, so I wasn’t worried about if I didn’t sound amazing or if I messed up the steps in my dance. My ease of mind was quickly crushed, however, when I found out that the directors do in fact make… cuts

With this newfound knowledge hanging over my head, I was driven to practice for hours in preparation for my audition. My heart was set on being in this musical and I feared that my inexperience would cost me. But, I knew immediately after walking into auditions that I was going to be okay. Everyone else was feeling the same nervous energy that I was, and we were able to talk through our anxieties together and reassure each other.

With every sport I’ve ever played, I felt super worried about messing up or letting my teammates down. I thought for sure that since I was a newbie, I would have those same fears about the musical, but it has been exactly the opposite. From that very first day at auditions, the supportive energy from everyone in the cast has been so evident in everything we do. Just like Troy Bolton and the Wildcats said, or rather, sang, “We’re all in this together.” Even if I stumble while dancing or sing a wrong note, my castmates are there to help me back on the right track. 

So, I guess the moral of this story is to try new things. It might be scary to go outside of your comfort zone, but you never know what awesome experience is out there waiting for you. Now, let me shamelessly put in a quick plug here: come see “Bright Star” tomorrow through Saturday at STA. It’s going to be a slam dunk!