Silver and Gold

In a world filled with gold jewelry, it is silver that will always hold my heart

It was Christmas, 2021. Wrapping paper littered the living room, all the presents had been opened, and it was stocking time. As the youngest, I patiently waited for my turn. I was always last. This Christmas had been amazing, and I wasn’t expecting much out of my stocking. Maybe I’d get some candy or a new lip gloss?

When my turn came, I eagerly pulled item after item out; it was exactly what I expected! Some milk chocolate – my favorite – and a pack of lip smackers! Then, I got to the bottom. A wrapped box. I paused for a second, wondering why something in my stocking was wrapped, and then I eagerly tore off the paper. An iconic blue box. My eyes began to fill with tears: this was more than I ever could have expected.

Tiffany & Co. was my favorite brand long before I ever owned a piece. I had grown up with a sister who was obsessed with Audrey Hepburn, so naturally we spent hours and hours cuddled up on the couch watching Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I had also watched my sister wear a Tiffany necklace my whole life, so I wanted to be just like her.

The silver beaded bracelet quickly became a staple in my wardrobe. I ditched all my well-worn and well-loved gold jewelry for the shiny new designer piece. I filled my jewelry dish with silver rings and earrings.

I quickly became a “silver girl” – standing out in a group of friends who all wore gold all the time. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Winter turned to spring, and 8th-grade graduation rolled around. My parents told me I could go to Tiffany & Co, and pick out any piece I wanted. I had my heart set on a gorgeous necklace before I even walked through the door. Two charms dangled from a silver chain, a heart reading, “Please return to Tiffany & Co.” and a mini pink heart. It was perfect.

The jewelry felt like pieces of my childhood that I could always carry with me. Sure, I wasn’t an adult just yet, but I was leaving behind grade school, and all my wonderful friends. The jewelry also helped give me confidence as I entered a sea of new, older faces.

In December of my freshman year, I acquired two silver pieces I will always hold near and dear to my heart. The first was a Christmas gift. A pair of shiny silver heart earrings, nestled in a blue box and tied with a bow. The second, a silver bracelet with a pink stone, a symbol of one of my best friends, my only friend who was a silver girl, just like me. We got customized matching bracelets at Kendra Scott, and I wear mine every day. The bracelet provides comfort in foreign situations and a sense of familiarity when I feel lost.

So, when asked if I’m a “silver girl” or a “gold girl,” the answer will always be definitive: Silver stores memories that provide comfort for which I am forever thankful.