2003 film shocks through stillness

Director Gus Van Sant poses with his Golden Palm, for his movie, “Elephant,” at the photocall of the winners following the closing ceremony of the 56th Cannes Film Festival in France on Sunday, May 25, 2003. photo courtesy of MCT CAMPUS
by Emma Willibey, photo courtesy of MCT CAMPUS

Director Gus Van Sant poses with his Golden Palm, for his movie, "Elephant," at the photocall of the winners following the closing ceremony of the 56th Cannes Film Festival in France on Sunday, May 25, 2003. photo courtesy of MCT CAMPUS

“Good Will Hunting” director Gus Van Sant’s 2003 film “Elephant” retells Colorado’s 1999 Columbine High School massacre without centering on its perpetrators. Rather, “Elephant” depicts the day through 11 observers. Consequently, conversation like a gym teacher’s reminder “Tomorrow, I wanna see those shorts!” and a gay-straight alliance debate replaces a storyline.

“Elephant” never provides background on characters’ lives. The film’s vagueness forces viewers to absorb one facet of each personality. John (John McFarland) enters school late after waiting on his drunken father. Brittany (Brittany Mountain), Jordan (Jordan Taylor) and Nicole (Nicole George) vomit their lunches in the bathroom stalls.

Shooters Alex and Eric arrive in camouflage outfits, strolling toward the school. While Alex’s obsessions with his sketchbook and composer Ludwig van Beethoven indicate “outsider” status, he has a friend and stable family.

However, Van Sant does not explain the murderers’ insanity. Instead, he emphasizes neither character can return to reality. Mapping his shooting plans, Alex tells Eric, “Most importantly, have fun, man.” The viewer does not pray for Alex to reconsider, but accepts the bloodbath that follows.

Alex and Eric murder each character except John, but no one mourns as the credits roll. Why cry over strangers’ deaths? The scenes of “Elephant” aren’t underdeveloped, but realistic.