Stars fall to Belton in basketball District championship

The STA basketball team finished their season with a second place win in the District tournament.

The STA varsity basketball team watches as Belton High School is declared District Champions Friday. The Stars lost the game 44-40 to Belton High School but finished their season with a 21-5 record. photo by Maggie Knox

story by MaryMichael Hough

The STA basketball team received second place in the District tournament after falling to Belton High School March 4.

After a close first half, the Stars gained momentum when senior Eleanor Lueke scored a three pointer and then converted a steal into a layup. A three pointer by senior Gillian Cutter led the Stars into the fourth quarter ahead 38-28.

With six seconds left in the game, Belton scored a layup off of an inbound play and drew a foul to secure their lead at 44-40.

“Although this season didn’t end the way we had hoped it would, we have so much to be proud of,” Lueke said. “We had so much fun along the way and it was definitely a season that we will always remember.”

The Stars finished their season with a winning record of 21-5.

photos by Kat Mediavilla and Maggie Knox

About the Writers
MaryMichael Hough, Managing Editor of Copy

Reporting live from St. Teresa’s Academy, I’m MaryMichael Hough. I am a senior and managing editor of copy for the Dart. In my free time, I enjoy harmonizing with my dad, eating hotdogs, yelling and being mischievous with my soulmate, Gary. When not hanging around Mrs. Drummond talking about Lifetime movies, I can most likely be found sneaking testers to the chubby kids at Costco, photoshopping myself into pictures of the royal family or Googling who I have to marry in order to become a Kennedy. I’d like to think of myself as pretty outgoing and am always willing to have a conversation about my infatuation with Jimmy Fallon or my nude suit. My life goals include convincing my mom to buy 2% milk, perfecting my “independent woman jams” playlist on Spotify and being on the Today show (duh). This year, I am obviously excited about making the Dart awesome, but I’m also just really looking for love.

Kat Mediavilla, Web Editor of Photography

Hiya, it’s Kat Mediavilla here!

I’ll just start off by doing everyone a favor: my name is pronounced mĕd-ē-uh-vee-uh.  I am a photojournalist on the amazing Dart publication staff, and I am currently serving as Web Editor of Photography. When I’m not out and about taking pics, I can be found playing lacrosse, eating candy from the development office or binge watching The Office (#Pam&Jim4ever). Some of my passions include indulging myself in scrumdiddlyumptious McDonald’s cones (#CONEOCLOCK), jamming out to some old school Jesse McCartney or quoting the cinematic masterpiece of Napoleon Dynamite. Over the course of my years at STA, I have been very blessed and fortunate to work closely with some of the most promising and talented writers, photographers, graphic designers and editors of this publication, and I have loved every minute of my journey on the Dart staff.

In the words of Nacho Libre, “My life is good. Real good.”

Maggie Knox, Editor-in-Chief

I’m Maggie Knox, a current editor-in-chief of the Dart, and I live by the Latin quote “alis volat propriis,” meaning “she flies with her own wings.” However, I do not have wings–I am a human. Therefore, I apply this mentality to my humanoid occurrences, like when I stick my arm out of any of my friends’ passenger side windows as they cruise a risky 4 mph over the speed limit.
When I’m not studying whatever’s in my 30-pound backpack every day, I enjoy spending my time collecting bargain SD cards and worshipping whoever created Bebas Neue. Some of my other daily activities include not brushing my hair, writing motivational speeches I’ll never give, putting Post-It notes everywhere there isn’t one and omitting the oxford comma.
As a senior, I hope to curb my Panda Express dependence while still keeping sane. I also hope to discontinue my constant internal questioning regarding the capitalist monopoly of such corporations. Through similar debates, I one day want to use my influence to combat the Dumb Beliefs of the World, i.e., racism, sexism, classism, etc. But for now, of course, with the help of my tried and true fellow editors, I will lead my team (aka the Dart staff) to journalistic victory.