Mind, Body, Soul

MIND
Everyone wants to snuggle up in a warm bed and read a book. Next thing you know, its 7:15 am and you never finished. How can you fix this? Don’t do your homework in bed. Human minds associate a bed as a place of relaxation and sleep; therefore, your brain will not function properly to study. Studying in bed could also have the opposite effect; if you train your mind to work hard in this area, it will follow this pattern, making it harder to fall asleep later. Instead, find a productive space to work so you can go to sleep with a clear mind.

BODY
Next time you can’t keep your eyes open while doing homework, take a power nap. Set your alarm for only 20 minutes; any longer and you will have difficulty waking up and focusing later. Twenty minutes of sleep will leave your body feeling refreshed. Scientists have even proven that a 20 minute nap approximately 8 hours after you have awaken will do more for your stamina than sleeping another 20 minutes in the morning. Also, this nap will improve your muscle memory and clear your brain of useless information, which helps with your long-term memory. Your mood, efficiency and alertness level will improve greatly.

http://ririanproject.com/2007/09/05/10-benefits-of-power-napping-and-how-to-do-it/

SOUL
Grab a friend and head to a nearby yoga class. 24 hour fitness has group classes 3 to 4 times a week, while Yoga Fix offers 30 days of unlimited ‘Hot Yoga’ for $30. Besides producing those feel-good endorphins, yoga brings balance to the nervous system and hormones, making you a happy camper. Originating from India, yoga teaches control and focus, which will in turn relieve stress. The breathing practices alone are a great way to create a sense of peace. Namaste!