This not that: Fast foods get fit

by Emily Wemhoff

McDonald’s Egg McMuffin, not Big Breakfast

First, McDonald’s Big Breakfast, which includes large biscuit, pancakes and syrup, has a combined total of over two-thirds of the calories you should eat in a day. It also has more than a day’s worth of saturated fat at 21.5 grams. With pancake syrup, the meal has more sugar than two packages of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Aside from eggs, all items on this plate are fatty foods that will only leave you tired and hungry later. However,the Egg McMuffin contains one-third of the Big Breakfast’s saturated fat and is only 450 calories.

Subway’s 6-inch Double Roast Beef sub, not 12 inch Tuna Sub

Even with twice the meat and double the protein, Subway’s 6-inch double roast beef sub still has only a fraction of the fat found in the mayonnaise-based Tuna sub. The Tuna Salad sandwich is the caloric equivalent to nearly an entire 14 ounce bag of Chips Ahoy! cookies. “Tuna has heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, but a dollop of mayonnaise offsets the sub’s nutritiousness.

Taco Bell’s Two Fresco Crunchy Beef Tacos, not Steak Fiesta Taco Salad

Don’t let the name fool you: the Steak Fiesta Taco Salad is probably the worst choice on Taco Bell’s menu, with 840 calories and 45 grams of fat. Instead, try two Fresco Crunchy Beef Tacos. If you select an item on Taco Bell’s menu fixed in “fresco” style, the chunky tomato salsa will replace the typical cheese and sauces, cutting calories and fat by at least 25 percent. Foods not listed as “fresco” and prepared with multiple ‘layers,’ like Grilled Stuft Burritos, are your worst options. Instead, order any pair of the following: crunchy tacos, bean burritos or an offering from the Fresco menu.