This not that: healthy lifestyle tips

by Emily Wemhoff

Modeled after Author Mark Di Vincenzo’s best selling book “Buy Ketchup in May and Fly at Noon,” these are some random health tips that will make your life easier.

Visit your doctor on Wednesday, not Monday

Wednesdays and Thursdays are the best day to expect speedy service from your doctor. On Mondays, doctors see the most patients, some of whom should have gone to urgent-care centers over the weekend but didn’t go because they tried to tough it out. Tuesday is still busy due to patients who can’t be seen on Monday. People who start to get sick on Thursday will want to be seen on Friday, before the weekend, so Fridays also tend to be busier than usual.

Brush your teeth an hour after you eat, not right after you wake up

Most foods contain acids that soften tooth enamel. An hour after you eat, the acids drain away and the enamel hardens again. If you brush while the acids are still present, combining brushing and acid can damage the enamel. Rinsing your mouth with water or mouthwash will not help get rid of them sooner; the acid takes time to leave your mouth.

Take tests at 10 a.m., not the afternoon

10 a.m. is the time when most people feel alert and up to a challenge. Even if you have skipped breakfast, the stress hormone cortisol rises while you sleep, increasing your blood sugar and boosting your energy. Also if you have to take a test in the late morning, review the material on the test right before because short-term memory is more efficient during this time.