Changes in the church cause changes in my attitude

Pope Francis I

by Natalie Fitts

In May of my freshman year, I was sitting in mid-day advisory when I first heard about the scandal in the Catholic Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph. One of the sophomores was talking about how she had seen her former priest on the news that morning after he was arrested for child pornography.

Just like I do everyday, I went home, grabbed a snack and every section of the Kansas City Star and started reading. Sure enough, the priest, Shawn Ratigan, was front page news. Like many teenagers who are raised religiously, I was already going through my phase of doubting the church I grew up in. However, this news really fired me up.

Just when I thought I couldn’t get angrier, news came out that Bishop Robert Finn had know about the situation with Ratigan. I was fed up. I told my dad he needed to stop tithing to our parish, I stopped going to church and I voiced my disapproval of Finn.

Before this scandal, I had tried to ignore what I disagreed with or disliked about the Catholic church. But that all changed. I began to notice everything. I disagreed with their stance on gay marriage. I didn’t like their opposition to birth control. I think priests should be able to get married. I want women to have the opportunity to be ordained. When I really thought about it, I realized I didn’t agree with all the practices, traditions and beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church.

So despite having been confirmed, I no longer identify as Catholic. In fact, I’ve been harboring a lot of animosity toward the church. So when the cardinals were picking a new pope, I could not have cared less. I figured that no matter which man was chosen, he would share all the traditional beliefs that the popes before him had supported and that I disliked.

However, I started to realize there might be changes in the church coming when I saw a headline about Pope Francis taking a selfie with a group of teenagers. It may seem silly that this seemingly insignificant event was the catalyst for my change in opinion. However, it shows how Francis is trying to connect with younger generations, which is something I have rarely seen leaders of the church do before.

From that point, I have actively sought for news about the pope. And I have liked most of what I have seen.

He founded a commission on abuse to help protect child from abuse by priests and aid those already affected.

He encouraged women to take on bigger roles in the church.

He invited straying Catholics, like myself, back to the church.

He has called the internet a “gift from God.”

He shuns most material goods, as seen in his modest choices of clothing and cars.

These are only some of the things I’ve read about Francis recently.

Scrolling through the news stories about Pope Francis in the past few months made me unbelievably happy and hopeful for the church because most of them were positive and uplifting. The world is recognizing that he’s bringing the church into the modern age. The transition is long over due, but it’s better late than never.

It was only last year that I claimed I would never return to the Catholic church. However, Pope Francis has made me respect the Catholic religion much more than I have for the past two years and perhaps even for my whole life. If he and his predecessors continue on the same path, I might end up back in the church where I started.