Teens Should Take Time to Curl Up with a Good Book

by Mary Hilliard

When I was in kindergarten, I would grab a stack of picture books and read in bed until the late hours of the night. I forced myself to keep my eyes open, to read just one more book, until at last I fell asleep, exhausted. I went through books like STA girls go through oreo balls: just one more… after this one… this is my last one… one more and I’ll be done. If I misbehaved, one of my punishments would be no books in bed, which for me was torture.

I wish I could go back to that time, when I had the leisure of reading what I wanted, about something that was interesting to me. Now, most of the reading I do is for classes, and at times it feels like torture to wade through the long, dull, monotonous topics I do not find even remotely fascinating. In the little free time I have, I turn to television and movies as a way to space out and not have to think for a while.

But over Christmas break I actually did have the time, and I picked up author Veronica Roth’s Divergent. I was able to take the time to remember what it felt like to be a kid again, getting lost in a book that I was actually choosing to read. I remembered why I enjoyed reading.

I think all teenagers should get to feel that way once in a while. Our generation has grown disinterested in almost everything, other than technology. We view reading as a chore, an assignment, a way to put us to sleep. But maybe that is because we are reading the wrong materials. If we find a topic or author we like, we may discover what it is like to get lost in a book again.

I have compiled a short list of books that I think STA girls will find easy and enjoyable to read:

First of all, the givens: The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

If you are one of the few people on the planet not to read these, they are a great way to reintroduce you to the joy of reading.

Number two: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: A book about books

The Book Thief takes place in Nazi Germany, and is told by the point of view of Death. But do not worry, it is not morbid, or too dark. It tells the story of Liesel Merminger, a young girl who learns to read, and begins stealing books: some from mass book burnings to celebrate Hitler’s birthday, some from the mayor’s library, and other odd places. She reads to her foster father, her neighbors as they are huddled scared in a basement during an air raid, and to the young Jewish man her parents are hiding in their basement. The Book Thief is an interesting perspective on World War II, a time in which all Germans, no matter what age, were perceived as evil. Yet author Markus Zusak figures out a way to draw readers in to the day to day life of a young German girl, and sympathize with her situation. It is not “just another book on the Holocaust”, but rather a look into another group being oppressed: the lower class of Germany.

Number Three: The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder: If you like The Fault in Our Stars

Cam is an eighteen year old who lives in Florida and works at the happiest place on earth, Disney World. She is also dying of cancer, which she is surprisingly okay with. Her attitude about her situation draws you in: she’s cynical about cancer and rolls her eyes at Disney. Overall, she is a refreshing point of view. However, in the eyes of her sister and mother, her attitude is insensitive. Her mother has been searching high and low for a cure: from acupuncture to natural remedies to moving the family to Promise, Maine, a place where amazing, unexplainable events are said to occur. With a similar narrator and  storyline to The Fault in Our Stars, I would recommend this to any John Green fans.

Number Four: Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery: for the little girl in all of us

Within the first chapter, I fell in love with Anne’s wild imagination. Although it’s a little young, it’s an easy, classic and enjoyable read.

Number Five: Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli: Typical High School Story

A girl named Star Girl starts school at Mica High and immediately causes a stir. First of all, she calls herself “Star Girl”, wear kimonos and pioneer dresses, and strums a ukele during lunch. At first intrigued, the school welcomes her, fascinated by her strange ways. But, as popularity is short and fleeting, they begin to turn on her and isolate her, forcing her to become the worst thing she could imagine: normal. Star Girl is sad, happy, cute, uplifting and heart breaking all at once.

I would love to hear what you think after reading these or your recommendations for young adult readers, so comment below!