This article’s title has been censored

by Jesse Walker-McGraw

If the administration wanted to, they could censor this article. I don’t think they’d have a reason to, but they potentially could. Technically, they are allowed to censor any school publication that happens to “contradict the teachings and beliefs of the Catholic Church, whether on a diocesan or worldwide level.” The publications adviser must submit any article that they believe will “contradict or come close to the teachings of the Catholic Church” to the administration for approval. In the mission statements, for both the Teresian and the Dart, it is claimed that each publication “intends to be an otherwise public forum for voices regardless of diverse ages, sexes, races, cultures, religions and beliefs.” If every other opinion may be expressed, then why not opinions that conflict with the Catholic Church?Jesse Walker-McGraw

I understand that STA is a Catholic school, but ignoring contradicting opinions does not get students ready for life in the outside world. The only way to learn and make up our own minds is to learn about other people’s beliefs. The rule forbids discussion of many current topics, from abortion to divorce.

However, the main way this unjust rule manifests itself is in articles speaking positively of gay rights. One article approving of gay rights was not published for months, although it was ready for publication. The administration even required the author to make changes before it was published, all this because it supported the basic right of a group of people. This is blatant discrimination. Homosexual people have to deal with incredible homophobia every day, but increasingly there are movements for equality. Already, laws are making it illegal to discriminate based on sexuality. The administration may find its current censorship illegal in 50 years.

In addition, shouldn’t students have the right to express their opinion, no matter what it is, in the school newspaper?

Currently, the administration gives us a medium to show our thoughts, but only if those thoughts reflect the beliefs of the administration. If their goal in giving us a newspaper is to let us express free thought, then there should be no censorship. If they want to continue censoring, then they should admit that our publications do not truly express all free thought. If censorship does occur, it should come from the students after logical debate and thought.

In the end, all these arguments boil down to a few simple questions. What do we value most, affirming beliefs we have been taught or learning new things? What does the administration value, teaching one system of thought and banning the others, or inviting everyone to openly debate and express opinion? To me, the answer is obvious.