U.S. needs to decide one age when kids become adults

In some places, the right to vote, drink, perform jury duty and serve in the military all happen at once. In the United States, these rights are not only spread out, but often without clear logic. Facing combat before one is considered reliable enough to purchase alcohol is one of the blinding inconsistencies. I guess the U.S. just has a hard time deciding when kids become adults. These inconsistencies have become more annoying as I’ve gotten older.

There is a lot of information to sort through when deciding these benchmark ages. Looking solely at neuroscience, there is no single age when the adolescent brain becomes an adult brain. Some parts of our brains are matured by age 16, but other parts are still developing into our early 20s.

But clearly in the U.S. age boundaries are drawn for mainly political reasons, not scientific ones. We live in a society where the maturity required to operate a car (16) does not exceed that required to handle rated-R movies (17). People can hunt wildlife with a deadly weapon at age 12 but can’t be trusted with a beer at age 20?

Unfortunately, our generation is considered relatively immature in comparison to earlier ones. We are over-protected by parents, spend ungodly amounts of time in front of our phones and we are less able to build friendships and function in groups. Who is honestly emotionally ready to drive a vehicle at age 16? I think everyone in today’s world would agree we grow up at a much more leisurely pace compared to earlier generations.

What I’m asking for is consistency. Pick 18 or 21 years of age for the age of adulthood, one or the other. Sixteen is just far too young for anything, especially in our increasingly young society. Even I don’t think I could pick a “correct age” that would become the new standard. I understand it is a hard job to sift through all the statistics and scientific information about when teens’ brains are fully matured and when is the safest time for them to watch things without worrying omit it will destroy them. Some people call for a lower drinking age, while others call for an increased voting age. These conflicting viewpoints are unfortunately just the nature of the times.

It is confusing for teenagers to grow up in a place with a thousand different regulations and constrictions. I think everyone would be a lot happier if there was one standard.