Just keep spending, just keep spending

by Maddie Knopke

Shopping is like a treasure hunt for modern-day consumers. We search for the cheapest sale prices, the best buy-one-get-one, the most “bang for your buck”. Upon walking into, say, Forever 21 we are immediately immersed in an environment cultivated for young women to spend money on items they never knew they “needed”.

With “SALE” plastered on the walls in huge red letters, we are attracted to buy items because we think we are getting more for our money. The motivating pop music in the background makes us excited to find that “perfect outfit”. The mannequin inspire us to think we need every piece of clothing it is wearing to look put-together too.

No matter what store we walk into, we are the test subjects. From the colorful displays to the enlarged shopping carts, stores have put in a lot of research behind the scenes to motivate consumers to buy products that aren’t on their intended shopping list. Retailers have turned selling into a science that psychologically manipulates the consumer.

1. The seemingly glorious “BOGO”

“BOGOs” (buy one, get one), also referred to as “two-fers” (two for the price of one) and such bundled-item sales aren’t in place to actually give us great deals. What retailer actually wants to benefit the customer, right? These promotions help the companies raise their number of sales on the charts, but more importantly get us to spend more than we intended.

Just a few days ago I was at Home Depot with my mom. On her list were AA batteries for our TV remote. As we came upon the display of batteries we saw one package of 12 AA batteries cost $5.99. However, you could buy two packages for $9.99. Naturally we thought buying two packages was the better deal and in theory, it is. We would get two packages for $9.99 instead of $11.98. But that’s exactly it…we would be buying two. Didn’t we come to buy just one package?

So, that “sale” actually made us spend more money than intended, basically contradicting the idea of a “sale” altogether. You may argue we will have more batteries in the long run for a cheaper price. However, who is to say we would’ve come back to this same store to buy those batteries? That’s the trick. These stores want us to buy from them and they want our money now. Because they can’t guarantee we will choose their store to shop at for batteries again, they want to give us this “deal” so we spend $9.99 instead of just $5.99 at their store today.

2. You are a “valued” customer

Now, just when you think the power is in your hands because the stores really can’t guarantee your return, you’re wrong. They can.

“Do you have a Chopper Shopper card?”

You’ve probably been asked this question if you’ve ever shopped for groceries at Price Chopper. In fact, I guarantee you have. Because at most grocery and retail stores with this “valued customer card” option available, the employees at the checkout counter are required to ask you if you have one. But, what they’re really hoping is that you don’t. In this case they will ask you to sign up for this “exclusive” membership card.

If you do, in fact agree to doing so, this will most likely award the cashier with some sort of compensation. Many stores offer bonuses to their employees for the number of customers they get to sign up for these “valued customer” cards under their watch. Why? Because these “valued customer” cards enable businesses to become a little more confident that you will become a returning customer. And you will, right? Because you now have this cute savings card hanging on your keychain that will remind you to shop at CVS to get nail polish remover instead of Walgreens, because maybe, just maybe, you actually get a deal from it.

3. “Oh look! A sale!”

Retailers take advantage of our knowledge of what the word “sale” means. As far as we know, a sale means saving money. So, if something appears to be on sale, we’re most likely to check it out.

The key word is “appear”. Many stores make items look like they’re on sale when they actually aren’t.

Let’s step back into Home Depot. Remember how I mentioned the batteries were on a display? These Duracell AA batteries were sitting in a bright yellow cardboard box with pop outs and bold lettering. Instinctively we must think there is something special about them, maybe that they’re on sale?

So, if these “sale” items are displayed here in a cardboard box then that must mean these extension cords next to them on a similar red cardboard display are on sale too, right? Not quite. By placing non-sale items next to “sale” items in similar looking displays, stores trick us into also browsing over these items as well.

Or how about those bargain bins? You know, the ones with miscellaneous items tossed into them sort of chaotically? Most of the time that means the store needs to get rid of the items. However, in some sneaky cases, non-sale items will be thrown into those bins or maybe the bins actually contain no sale items at all. For example, a few feet from both the battery and extension cord displays there was a row of what appeared to be sale bins, but when I walked over to check, the safety gloves and winter hats weren’t on sale at all. By throwing products into these “we need to get rid of this stuff, so its all on sale” bins, retailers again fool us into digging through probably not-so-on-sale items.

4. Have a seat, stay a little while

Maybe it’s a wooden chair, a plastic bench a leather couch. Either way, you’re feet hurt. You want to sit down. If you’ve been shopping for a few hours, you know the feeling. Or maybe this is your only stop but you’re not interested in anything and have to wait for your sister to finish trying on clothes. Well, just when you think you’ve had it you look at the displays around you while sitting in that comfy (or not-so-comfy) chair and suddenly realize that maybe you are interested. Stores provide places to sit down in order to keep you in their store longer. And these locations are often surrounded by pretty displays, free perfume samples or stacks of their latest catalog.

Whether you’re in a grocery store or a retail store, they’re taking advantage of your senses. You might smell those rotisserie chickens or fresh baked bread. You could be listening to your favorite song while looking for the perfect pair of earrings. Oh the blanket on that table looks soft, you should touch it. Wow Toy Story looks stunning on that HDTV. And we all know you can’t not try a sample. All of these tactics trick us into considering products that we previously wouldn’t have.

5. I forgot I needed this chapstick, thanks for reminding me

Just when you think your shopping excursion is coming to a close you realize you may have forgotten the items that everyone needs to stuff their purse, car, backpack or brief case with. The travel sizes packet of tissues, flash drives, gum, bottled water, hair bands, playing cards, hand sanitizer, pens, mini bottles of ibuprofen, chapstick. All of these items, among many more, are stocked to your convenience in the checkout lines. Stores are reminding you that you must need these practical items because who doesn’t? Isn’t that nice of them? Don’t fall for it