Best of Netflix according to Emily McCann

by Emily McCann

Mad Men

Mad Men wouldn’t usually be my favorite type of TV show. I tend to go for the insanely hilarious or ridiculously dramatic. I’ll be honest, I was first drawn to Mad Men because of the incredibly good looking Jon Hamm. However, it’s much deeper than that. A world full of human weakness and vanity surrounds Don Draper (Hamm) in his home life and at his advertising agency. This show grabs you in and reminds you that everyone has a past. The show is currently running on AMC but the first 4 seasons and 52 episodes can be found on Netflix.

Arrested Development

Absolutely hands down the funniest show I have ever had the pleasure of watching. While it only showed on TV for 3 seasons, it is comic genius. The show details the lives of a privileged family who loses all their money after an SEC investigation and the subsequent arrest of the family patriarch, George Bluth. My personal favorite character is Tobias Funke a psychiatrist turned actor who makes me laugh just by looking at him. There are 3 seasons of the show and 53 episodes, but luckily new episodes of the show will be coming exclusively to Netflix in May.

Parks & Recreation

The Office may be the original workplace comedy but Amy Poehler and Parks and Rec have by far the best comedy still on TV now. With its hilarious contrast in characters and fearless and funny leaders Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) and Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman) this show about government employes in rural Indiana is more than worth your Netflix time. There are 4 seasons and 68 episodes currently on Netflix.

Revenge

On a recent sick day after sleeping for about as many hours as my body could possibly handle I decided to look for something good to watch. That’s when I stumbled upon Revenge, a relatively new show that got me hooked right away. Think Gossip Girl all grown up just with a little more money and a lot more scandal. This show chronicles Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke (Emily Vancamp) and her search and destroy mission directed at people who put her father in jail and made her an orphan. The show gets you hooked and has plenty of glamour and romance on the side to keep the whole revenge thing from getting too dark and depressing. This show is definitely the best I’ve seen on Netflix so far.