The truth about being a vegetarian

by Jordan Allen

“So tell me something about yourself!” “If you were to tell me one interesting thing about yourself, what would it be?” These questions are some of the most common conversation starters we all have faced at one point or another. And we all usually have that one interesting talent or hobby by which we occasionally define ourselves.

What’s my overwhelmingly interesting answer? I find myself responding with the same somewhat unique fact, “I’m a vegetarian.” Puzzled facial expressions and silence tend to follow. Many people asking this question expect the common, “I ride horses,” or “I’m basically comparable to Mozart when it comes to musical talent,” but not this girl. I have chosen for the past 4 years to brag about my eating habits. (St. Teresa’s has clearly rubbed off on me well) I am, most easily definable as, a vegetarian.

The inevitable reaction and question that follows anyone’s knowledge of such a trait include, “Oh, really? Why?” My answer stems from my early decision in the fifth grade to stop eating the adorably helpless animals that I was so obnoxiously obsessed with. “I don’t believe I have the right to take something else’s life when I can maintain a healthy diet without something dying.” This has been my mantra since I began this lifestyle.

When I decided to take on such a habit alone, my mother, father and two younger brothers were less than supportive. As I returned home and refused my mom’s famous meat-packed lasagna, I can remember throwing a slight tantrum and being forced to scrape the ground beef from the noodles as tediously as ever. They were clearly against me. After about two weeks of arguments and a diet consisting of pure carbs, I gave up my ploys to save the poor cattle, pigs and poultry and proceeded to conform to the carnivorous family I was born into. Years later, as I approached my freshman year of high school with a new-found ability to cook my own meals, I regained my compassionate, vegetarian diet and ceased all meat consumption.

For those of you who are looking to save animals from the inhumane treatments like I am, as long as you are mindful of what you eat, vegetarian diets are not as limiting as they may seem. However, many vegetarians believe that by avoiding meat products, they automatically become healthier. I am here to tell you that is not the case. When making a decision to cut out a vital part of a teenager’s diet, one must be aware of the pros and cons that will proceed.

While many people regard vegetarianism as a way to avoid the intake of fats, artificial growth hormones and preservatives, they also tend to avoid needed nutrients as well. By ceasing consumption of red meat, you are also eliminating the presence of iron in your blood system. According the Thinkquest.org, iron is an essential mineral needed in the body for red blood cell production and calcium absorption, especially for teenage women of childbearing potential (wink, wink). Along with a lack of iron commonly comes a lack of protein in a vegetarian’s diet simply because many healthy proteins are found in the meat of animals. I can personally relate to such statistics.

Since the switch, I have found myself not only deemed “hip” for such a non-conformist diet, but also iron deficient, protein deficient and anemic. After almost two years of eating a diet free of any chicken, pork or beef, I became overwhelmed by fatigue, lethargy, poor circulation and headaches. According to Medicalnewstoday.com, all of these symptoms, plus shortness of breath, poor concentration, heart palpitations, difficulty swallowing and pale complexion are effects of being anemic due to an iron deficiency. And yes, for those of you who know me, I am guilty of having a pale complexion, but that’s due to unfortunate genetics. What I was also guilty of my sophomore year of high school was ignoring the importance of filling the gaps within my diet. Now I make a habit out of taking daily iron supplements and pay special attention to my protein consumption.

While it may be enticing to go against the mold and try something new, when it comes to your health, there’s no messing around. Some of the risks can be extremely detrimental to a growing teenager, and it is important to check with a parent, guardian or doctor before doing anything drastic with your diet.

Although I began with a rocky start in 2005, by 2012 I can confidently say I have mastered my vegetarian lifestyle with ease and comfort. I encourage anyone passionate about their beliefs to pursue it in their daily lives. But to the few of you now swayed to join us herbivores, please remember to maintain your nutrition. I’m sure Wilbur and his other farm animal friends appreciate all of us “hip” vegetarians looking to find some other societal conformities to oppose, but please be sure to stay healthy as well.