True Life: I do not know where to go to college

unknown
by Mickey Redlingshafer

On the first day of school during my first world faiths class, Mr. Bertalott had each senior go around the room and introduce themselves. As part of this introduction each girl was to tell the rest of the class their plans for next year. Everyone had their plans.

“I will be at KU next year. My whole family has gone there.”

“I am planning on going to TCU next year, and I think I want to do nursing.”

As each person explained their college plans, I was trying to figure out what I was going to say. Finally Mr. Bertalott came to me.

“Mickey, what about you?”

“Uh, well, I am not quite sure.”

Silence.

“I mean I have some choices. There are currently 16 schools on my list,” I murmured.

This was the point when I realized I did not (and still do not) know where I was going to be in a years time. I needed to cut down my college list.

That weekend I cut my college list in half. I am now applying to 8 schools.

The schools on my list spread across the country from New York to California, with a few in between.

To say the application process is stressful is the understatement of the century. I spent many nights in my bed working on my essay, supplements, resume and just about anything else you can think of. This process made me feel like an idiot. I did not know how to do anything without asking Mrs. Hudson.

Now that I have my official list, and I have basically done my applications. (Well sort of) What comes next?

How do I choose which school to attend and fast? I am sick of being asked where I am going to be next year. I am envious of the girls who have everything figured out: their roommate, Dorm, major, and most importantly their SCHOOL.

This whole process is difficult. There are so many different schools to choose from; I am not even sure how I got my college list down to 16 schools.

If I get admission letters and decide which school is best for me then what happens? I need to figure this out, I already bother Mrs. Hudson weekly with random college question moodle messages. I don’t think she can take much more.

I am not sure if I am ready for college. studying alone, paying for my food, being away from home, but most tragically being away from STA.

There is no place like STA. I am scared to leave my friends, my teachers and my frees. STA has become my home.

I often say I cannot wait for college and this is true, however it will be hard to leave STA.

It will be difficult to leave first because I have no idea where I am going and what I will be doing, but it will be more difficult to leave behind the four amazing years STA gave me.

Here is some advice to underclassmen: cherish your 4 years at STA. Get as involved as you can, don’t be afraid to try new things and please please please start your college search/applications early.