The struggles of an indecisive person

by Hannah Bredar

What movie do you want to see? What do you want for dinner? What should we do this weekend? It seems that I can never fully answer these questions, I always end up answering, “I don’t care” or, “Anything is fine with me.”

If you know me, you already know that I am a very indecisive person and my friends always get mad at me when I simply can’t make up my mind. Sometimes they even force me to make my own decision without asking anyone’s opinion which seems like torture to me because I am always seeking reassurance.

I am a person that absolutely loves structure and loves it when a teacher tells me exactly what to write about. But when it is the opposite and they tell us to write about whatever we want it is a nightmare to me. Because I have this problem, I thought it would be appropriate to write my opinion about it because an opinion is whatever you want to make it and I obviously have a very difficult time doing that.

Whenever a teacher assigns an essay that you can write about anything you want I always look around to find my classmates writing along excited that they get to choose their topic. While they are all giddy, I am staring at a blank computer screen with a blank mind about what I could possibly write about. I am always tempted to ask the teacher what they want me to write about because I certainly have no idea what to do.

You might be thinking right now, “How does this girl ever make a decision?” This part gets weird because I can make big decisions mostly on my own with but it is the small decisions that really kill me. The decisions that do not have any large impact on my life that I think if I choose the wrong one something bad might happen. These are the questions that I freak out over and they are the ones that my friends make me answer every single time.

Who knows why I cannot answer a question? Maybe it is because I am afraid of hurting someone’s feelings. Or possibly because I simply don’t have an answer but when people ask a question as simple as, “What are you hungry for?” I beg and pray that that person will not ask my opinion because everyone knows that I will not supply an answer.