Tube Socks and Sports Bras: NFL vs. College Football

by Cassie Florido

As I sat in my house on Sunday, I realized, wow I have no life. I had been watching football for the past 4 hours. The real problem was I regretted none of it. Basically watching football is what my weekends consist of. My Saturdays are spent flipping back and forth between college football games. My Sundays are spent watching the Chiefs game and then gearing up for the Sunday Night NFL matchup.

To put it plain and simple, I watch a lot of football. I think my friends get kind of annoyed with it sometimes. I don’t dare make plans during the Mizzou games, and my friends are well aware of that. If something is going on while the Mizzou game is on, you can count me out. It’s just not gonna happen. I have to watch the games. They do better when I watch…it’s been proven.

While I was watching my 10 hours of football this weekend, I got to thinking. Which do I like better, college football or the NFL?

Well, after about 2 seconds of long, hard thinking, I came to the conclusion that the obvious choice was college football. The number one reason? The boys. I mean hey, who wouldn’t want to watch a bunch of muscular boys run around the football field. They are cuter, younger, faster, and stronger. I could go on forever. College athletes are the total package. When watching the NFL, it’s just full of “old” guys with beards and bald heads. It’s just not the same.

Another reason that I looooove college football is because of the atmosphere. Memorial Stadium, Mizzou’s stadium, is one of my favorite places on earth. Many college football stadiums have an environment that cannot be matched. The atmosphere is electric. You have to experience it to believe it.

Now let’s look at NFL stadiums. Yes, they may be huge and have many more seats, but it doesn’t compare to college football’s atmosphere. Take Arrowhead Stadium for example, I’m sure that place can be rockin’, but I’ve just never seen it. Even though there are passionate NFL fans, nothing can compare to the love some people share with their favorite college team. I live and die with my team…literally.

It may be weird but I could probably name a majority of the Mizzou football team. My parents call it obsession, I call it passion. College athletes just fascinate me. I love their drive and dedication. Unlike the NFL, it’s all about the love of the game and not just the money.

The plus side of knowing about players on college teams is that you can watch them as they move onto the NFL. I don’t have a favorite NFL team simply because I don’t care that much. My favorite team depends on which team has players that I followed while they were in college. So that’s actually a plus about the NFL.

Finally, one of the main reasons that I love college football is that the athletes are much easier for me to relate to. In the NFL, players have their entourages and are “closed off” from their fans. For college sports, the players are truly thankful for the fans they have. On Twitter, my Mizzou list is full of players showing appreciation to their fans all the time. (Yes, I have a full list on Twitter for just Mizzou athletics. Don’t judge me.) Also, when on campus, it’s common to see the players roaming around. I don’t know why but I just think it’s so cool to see players when I go spend the weekend with my sister at Mizzou. It’s crazy to think that college athletes are students just like me. They are normal kids attending college and playing a game they love.

So in the end, college football wins. Even though I will still watch the NFL games, it will never get me fired up like college football does. College football will always have a special place in my heart. If college football was a food, it would be double fudge chocolate volcano cake. Simply the best.

ATTENTION STA GIRLS: I want to do a blog about a student that does a crazy or extreme sport. I also want to learn more about your love of sports. So if you play a unique sport or want to let me know about your favorite sport or sports team, hit me up via Moodle. Seriously. Do it.