Tube Socks and Sports Bras: Let’s talk sports

by Cassie Florido

One of the most traumatizing things a girl will ever experience is trying to keep a conversation going with a boy. Okay, that may be a little dramatic. But, c’mon it’s such a struggg. We’ve all had that awkward conversation with a guy where you just want to walk away and hide in a cave somewhere because the conversation was that bad. If you’re lucky enough to have never been in this situation, don’t feel lucky, because it’s coming…trust me.

I know girls sit in circles, painting their nails and having deep conversations about what the heck they should talk to guys about. Well, watch a couple hours of ESPN and you’ll pretty much know it all.

I have figured out boys love to talk sports. Boys love to let girls know they love sports. Even if they don’t know sports, they think they do. But are boys more likely to talk to girls that understand sports?

I bet you I understand sports better than 70 percent of the boys my age. During college basketball season ask me the top 25 teams and I could probably name off a majority of them. Maybe sometimes it does pay off to be a “tomboy.” These kind of things make it so much easier when you’re hanging out with boys.

But what if you don’t know a single thing about sports. Pretend you do. Drop some knowledge on these boys. Show these boys that girls actually do understand sports. That way when you’re at the Rockhurst football game you’ll understand what a first down actually is.

But maybe some boys don’t like when girls know more about sports. Some boys get intimidated by girls knowing more than them. Is it because girls are supposed to watch chick flicks and not “challenge” the boys on their sports knowledge. Well why does it have to be a challenge? Why can’t it be the norm? Girls talkin’ sports. That sounds nice. Sports 24/7. Yeah…that’s my kind of world.

So, let’s think about this. Maybe sometimes boys just want girls to act like girls. And sometimes girls just want to act like boys. I know there are other “sporty” STA girls just like me that would agree. We just can’t win with boys.

So maybe we are right where we began. Do boys find it attractive when girls know more about sports than them? Or do they get annoyed that girls can hang with them in sports conversations? We may never know. The logic of boys is just something I will never be able to understand. But that’s for someone else to figure out, I’m just here for the sports.

P.S. Everyone please say a prayer for the Chiefs…I think they’ll need it this weekend.