Excuse my attitude, I’m just a little tired

unknown
by Adrianna Ohmes

It’s only the second month of school and it’s already started.

My nights are now filled with homework, and my days with fatigue, crankiness and constant yawning.

Sleep deprivation in teenagers isn’t something to take lightly, but as an STA student, it can seem unavoidable. Most nights I get around 5 to 6 solid hours of sleep, compared to the 8 to 9 hours recommended for teens to function their best, according to the National Sleep Foundation.

Most mornings I’m not the most pleasant person to talk to unless I’ve a) had my fair share of coffee or b) listened to punk rock in my car to wake me up for the day. Now, I’ve learned to work with this, but I know I’m not alone in the world of sleep deprivation.

Sleep deprivation among teenagers can harm our grades, safety, attitudes and relationships. Students may have a hard time focusing during class if they’re tired. Driving in traffic can be a dangerous task in the morning if you’re not fully awake. And crankiness can cause you to overreact in situations, harming your relationships with your family and friends.

Physically, sleep deprivation can lead to being more prone to acne and eating unhealthy things. Sleep deprivation can also leave you drowsier and more susceptible to illness.

In a poll by the National Sleep Foundation, 46 percent of adolescents surveyed showed signs of being depressed with symptoms such as feeling unhappy, hopeless about their future, nervous or tense and worried too much about things. No wonder I crash every finals week and every theater tech week.

A lot of teenagers have lots of things on their plates, but a lot of us just don’t have good time management. So now it’s time to approach the elephant in the room.

Procrastination.

I know it’s super fun to watch the marathon of your favorite TV show that just happens to be on after you get home from school, or to get on Tumblr when you get home and stay on for 5 hours. I can’t blame you. After seven hours of education at the Academy, in fact, I relate.

So to help you bump up your snoozing hours, try doing some homework when you get home, and take 10 to 15 minutes breaks during. Make sure you keep track of when assignments are due and when you have tests or quizzes. Keeping your schedule organized helps you avoid those late night cram sessions or all-nighters spent working on that project you forgot about. And if you’re like me and are constantly on the Internet, sometimes it’s best to just turn off the electrics for a while.

My ultimate tip for getting more sleep is to stay organized and unplug.

And if you can’t do that, let coffee, tea or some obnoxiously loud music be your best friend.