Musicals are the “Cats'” meow

by Emily Wemhoff

As an eight year old, I was mesmerized by my DVD of the Broadway musical “Cats.” After my grandparents brought me to see the musical over the summer of 2004, I became obsessed. Imagine a little girl watching the video twice a day, pretending to be a cat, and singing the songs as loud as she could. That was me. Literally, I was addicted. After that horrific phase that I wish I could forget, my love for all musicals grew.

Since then I have gone to countless Starlight, Theatre in the Park, CYT and high school productions. I would guess I have seen over 50 musicals. From “Anything Goes,” to “Wicked” I have heard hundreds of songs and sat through way too many intermissions. I have witnessed some pretty weird stuff. Ever heard of Dolly Parton’s musical, “9 to 5”? I’ve seen it. And its quality stuff, contrary to what you might think. Did you know “Little House on the Prairie” is a musical? Well, I think it should have stayed a TV show. Any of you know how they make “Peter Pan” fly on stage? Cause I sure don’t.

My favorite thing about musicals is how realistic they make singing randomly on the street seem. Yes, that person just sang a song about fiddling on the roof. But it was so natural! I love how watching a musical can transport you to any time or place. And I always walk away from a show singing one of the songs and that makes me happy inside. My all time favorite musical is a tie between “Mamma Mia” and “Wicked,” two of the classics. “Mamma Mia” because who doesn’t love “Dancing Queen”? Plus, I know every last word of the entire show. And maybe I add some of my own dialogue in my head to make it better. “Wicked” because it is all things awesome. I pretty much base my life off the song “Popular.”

Some of you may question my addiction. Am I a true theater junkie? Probably not. But if spending hours on YouTube watching videos of new musicals, calling my grandma the instant I find out what shows are playing at Starlight, and blaring my Broadway show tunes Pandora station aren’t weird then I don’t know what is.

Go ahead, stop me in the hall and ask me any plot line of any musical (Although I haven’t seen all musicals, so just don’t mention about 150 of them). I will proudly tell you about “Aida “or “Guys and Dolls.” The thing is, I want all of you to go see a show outside of STA because you will be musically enlightened. You will come back feeling happy inside, probably singing songs and dancing around. And maybe some of you will develop an obsession with “Cats.”