Oh, boy! Boy bands are back and better than ever

by Meghan Lewis 

Boy bands are back, whether you like it or not. I personally, am beside myself with excitement. It brings me back to the days of creating star quality dance routines to Backstreet Boys songs with fellow junior and cousin Grace Doran. It also brings me back to the time I got my first karaoke machine accompanied by an *NSYNC cd. But most of all, it reminds me of the obsession I had with these do-rag wearing, falsetto harmonizing boys from the 90’s. Fortunately, I grew out of this obsession fairly quickly. I got older, their posters fell off my wall, and I realized Justin Timberlake really didn’t look that good in a turtleneck sweater and purple tinted sunglasses. But now I get to channel my pre-teen esque affections towards a new set of heartthrobs, and it’s all going in one direction.
Yes, I am talking about the British-Irish group “One Direction” composed of Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Liam Payn, and Niall Horan. Out of all the new boy groups like “The Wanted”, “Big Time Rush”, and “Mindless Behavior” I have fallen completely head over heels for this quintet.  Is it a little sad that I am a 17 year old girl fully prepared to scream bloody murder for a boy band? Its extremely pathetic. Is it a little sad that I purchased floor seats to their concert that is more than a year away (yes, it’s in July 2013) with classmate Allison Hogan? Still extremely pathetic. But hey, my guess is that some of you readers might share a similar passion for this new boy band. Maybe some of you are even more preoccupied with their adorable accents and angelic voices than I am.

I like to think this new band has become my current infatuation for good reason.

First, they are British and Irish. The attractiveness of their accents goes without saying.

Second, their hair really intrigues me. Harry looks like he has a mop thrown on his head and Louis just looks like he hasn’t seen a brush in years. But somehow, it works.

They also came from a fairly humble background. The boys competed in Britain’s 2010 season of “X Factor” and were originally each rejected as solo artists. Later they were thrown together as a group. I know, I know, “they must not be very good if they were all turned down by the judges.” My theory is the judges just wanted to put all the talent in one place. This would ensure their fame and increase the level of heavenly sound by five. Smart thinking judges.

They don’t have typical choreographed dance routines when performing. The boys don’t really dance, and if they do, it’s usually freestyled. They are also writing about half of the songs on their next album, which shows that they are a little more than just pretty faces.

All five of them are also surprisingly amazing at soccer. Come on, who doesn’t like a cute footballer?

Lastly, they have tried to explain to me multiple times what makes me beautiful. I don’t know about you guys, but that never really seems to get old.

I honestly can’t pinpoint exactly what it is that makes me love this new group so much, but I think it is safe to say I have caught the One Direction infection. And as a 17 year old girl that should be way past this stage in my life, I am pretty unembarrassed about this new found love. I accept this quirky part of me. Bring on the boy bands.