A farewell to my lovely senior Dartians

A farewell to my lovely senior Dartians
by Cara McClain

Earlier this year, I was in Mr. Thomas’ room complaining about the amount of group projects Mr. Fast assigns my AP Literature class. In a moment of dramatic over-statement, I whined, “I hate group projects!”

cara-mcclainWith his typical calm reasoning, Mr. Thomas, somewhat laughing, said, “But you’re involved in one of the biggest examples of a group project: a student newspaper.”

Taken aback, I realized he was right, as always. I may think I dislike working in groups (which may still be true in some cases), but in this instance, with the Dart, I rely on my group to help me through the beginning, middle and end of the project.

For us senior Dart staffers, the project ends now. In an effort to avoid mushy sentimentality, I won’t spend too much time talking about how wonderful and great my experience on the Dart was. Instead, I offer up this tribute to my favorite project partners, the lovely seniors of the Dart:

Lucia Maschler: As the opinion editor, Lucia is never afraid to say what she thinks. While we have disagreed in the past, I have always respected her ability to state her position clearly and to stand by it. I appreciate hearing what Lucia has to say because her opinion often makes me see the situation in a different light. In losing Lucia, the Dart is losing a determined staffer, organized page designer and strong advocate for her opinions.

Allison Fitts: Quick with a sarcastic comment, Allison has always been quicker with a word of sincere encouragement. A good friend to everyone on staff, she balanced many other responsibilities to be able to dedicate time to newspaper. In losing Allison, the Dart is losing a fair and helpful copy editor, a hilarious blogger and a spirited staffer.

Chelsea Birchmier: Chelsea and I have gone through the same four years of journalism, starting freshman year in Mr. Thomas’ old partitioned room. Over the years, Chelsea has shown the same impressive intelligence and ability to reason in our classes. When she signs up for stories, she chooses challenging news stories that many of the other staffers (myself completely included) are afraid to write. In losing Chelsea, the Dart is losing an even-tempered and kind editor, a dedicated news writer and a student always ready to learn.

Celia O’Flaherty: Anyone can see that Celia is a great leader, from her president of the senior class office to her nomination for Academy woman. Celia brings that innate sense of leadership to the Dart. In losing Celia, the Dart is losing a passionate photo editor, a staff motivator and a kind hearted girl.

Erin Sellers: In her first year on staff, Erin was able to avoid many rookie mistakes. She jumped right into journalism, with a careful eye that brought about beautiful photography. In losing Erin, the Dart is losing a humorous writer, a smart classmate and a skilled photographer.

Sarah Godfrey: Also in her first year on a publication, Sarah transitioned into the journalism world from taking digital photography her junior year. Her photo galleries were always impressively done. In losing Sarah, the Dart is losing a talented photographer who was willing to learn something new.

Rowan O’Brien- Williams: Providing observations and facts coming from seemingly nowhere, Rowan has the ability to liven up every dinner at publication night. With strong sense and a creative mind, she designed some of my favorite pages this year. In losing Rowan, the Dart is losing a girl with the whole package: intelligence, creativity, humor and kindness.

Katie McCombs: During those long publication nights where everyone is testy and ready to go home, Katie knew how to lighten the mood. Even after she had finished her page, Katie would stick around, cracking jokes, eating what was left of the food and making everyone else’s night more enjoyable. In losing Katie, the Dart is losing an artistic designer, a hilarious videographer and an all around fun staffer.

Mary O’Leary: For some, designing the news page may not seem like that much fun because so much of the page looks the same from issue to issue. However, when Mary became the news editor, she took the challenge of designing those pages in a less traditional way. In losing Mary, the Dart is losing an excellent writer and a problem-solving designer.

Abby Uche: I have always appreciated having Abby in my classes at STA because she is such an eloquent speaker. In class discussions, she has the maturity to understand exactly where her opinions fall and the ability to clearly explain them. In losing Abby, the Dart is losing an intelligent debater, a helpful staffer and an articulate writer.

Emily Bresette: What I will remember most about Emily are her ability to write beautiful, emotional feature stories. Emily has the skill of taking delicate situations and treating them with such care and focused attention that many others could never be able to imitate. In losing Emily, the Dart is losing a driven staffer, a kind student and a beautiful writer.

Kate Rohr: Last year as Hannah, Katie and I were figuring out this year’s positions, we called Kate to tell her we thought she’d make an excellent center spread editor. In typical Kate fashion, she immediately denied the praise, thinking she did not have the skill to do it. Look at any issue from this year, and you can see her initial fears were completely unnecessary. In losing Kate, the Dart is losing a humble staffer, humorous writer and a talented designer.

Christina Barton: When deciding what pages Christina would design this year, I had full confidence that she would do phenomenally well with the features spread. With a clear eye for design, she put a lot of thought and creativity into her spread each issue. I have always admired Christina’s ability to accomplish large tasks before deadline, a rarity in a typical newsroom. In losing Christina, the Dart is losing a thoughtful designer, a focused staffer and a dedicated journalist.

Hannah Wolf: When Hannah came on staff her junior year, she rose to the challenge of being a page designer, showing her great ability to take hold of a situation and lead. I have known Hannah for a long time, having gone to grade school with her, and in case you were not aware, we are basically twins (born on the same day, same hospital, same floor, same doctor). I was thrilled to have her on staff and to share leadership responsibilities with her this year. With a cool head, Hannah makes decisions thoughtfully and constructively. Next year, I will miss seeing my twin around school. In losing Hannah, the Dart is losing one of the best designers, an empathetic listener and a problem solving leader.

Katie Hyde: On her dedication and work ethic alone, Katie deserves a huge, collective “Thank you” from everyone on staff. But of course, as editor in chief, Katie does so much more for the Dart. She stays up late to make sure everyone’s stories are free from any style mistakes. She has had countless meetings with the administration, championing for the publication of our controversial stories. On top of all of that, she still writes thoroughly researched stories with eloquence and style. Through years of copy editing her work, I have come to recognize her clear and beautiful writing. We entered staff together, sharing all the joys and pains (mostly pains) of being a new staffer among a bunch of intimidating seniors. I still remember the time on her birthday, Mr. Thomas gave her 100 percent on one of her stories. I’m pretty sure she cried  a little bit behind the partition. Through this year, Katie has continually demonstrated her ability to lead with a combination of reason and feeling. In losing Katie, the Dart is losing a peace-keeping leader, an example setting editor in chief and an excellent journalist.

Thank you for all making my time on the Dart such an enjoyable, learning experience. You all are the reason this group project we call the Dart is a success. I will miss you all as I head off to college and into other newsrooms.

Read other senior columns