Spring break means break from homework too

By Natalie Fitts
break /brāk/ n. An interruption of continuity or uniformity.
I just wanted to remind some of the teachers out there what “break” means because, from the looks of my assignment notebook over spring break, some must have forgotten.
My list of assignments over spring break consisted of the following:
  • read “The Metamorphosis” by Frank Kafka
  • draw a picture of the main character from the book
  • prepare for a Socratic seminar over a different book
  • complete an 11-page Spanish packet

Okay, I’ll admit it, altogether, it only took me about 3 hours to complete my homework. But still, that was 3 hours I could have spent sleeping, watching Dance Moms, looking for summer jobs, learning to drive or hanging out with friends. Breaks are meant to be an interruption of routine, which includes anything that has to do with school.

I know we are a college prepatory academy, which means who should have a lot of work. But I think that is all  the more reason not to have homework over these breaks. We work really hard week after week during the school year. We deserve to not have any obligations for a week every once in a while.

Plus, a lot of people take vacations with their families and/or friends during spring break. Would you really want to interrupt people’s quality time at the beach or on the slopes to do a few math problems? I hope not. Although I didn’t jet off to any place sunny this year, I know my vacation would have been a lot less relaxing/awesome if I had any assignments hanging over my head.

I’m not saying the administration has to pass some legislation that says teachers cannot give students any homework over breaks (although that would be appreciated). I just want teachers to, out of the goodness of their kind hearts, lay off for a week. I don’t expect you to grade my papers over breaks, just as you should not expect me to write any papers or do anything at all over breaks.