Service Week? Well worth it.

Service Week? Well worth it.

By Caitlin Fletcher

I could never teach small children. For a while I thought I could maybe do it, I mean I love kids, so why not? I mean it couldn’t be that hard, right? Wrong.

After spending a week at the Upper Room daycare in a classroom full of three year olds, I realized how wrong I was. I mean the teacher in this classroom has to be some kind of saint because that is the most hectic place I have ever been.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. After my first day at the upper room I came to the conclusion that it was also the messiest time of the day (I quickly changed my opinion once lunchtime rolled around). Did you know that three year olds hardly even look at their food when they’re eating it? They really don’t, which results in scrambled eggs being smeared all over their face (who knew that was possible?). It also results in about half of their breakfast lying on the floor.

Then recess rolled around, the next big event of the day. The kids have a small area outside with play houses, work out balls and toy cars and big wheels for them to drive around in. Recess was hectic, but definitely my favorite part of the day. The boys would drive around in the cars and when one would hit another he would yell, “Come on man!” probably like he’d heard his parents say a few times before. After this I forgot about breakfast, and thought once again that I could do it just because the kids were so entertaining.

That feeling lasted about four hours. Through lunch and through their nap time when they were all peacefully sleeping. That feeling ended once they woke up and you realize that about four kids were getting up and walking toward you with wet pants. Even though it was gross, I couldn’t help but feel bad for the poor kid who couldn’t control their bladder. I mean come on, we all have those days, am I right? Well, maybe not, but when we were that age we totally did!

Now I realize the only things that turn me off of a job teaching three year olds are the things that are disgusting. Food all over their face, peeing in their pants and I wasn’t too huge a fan of the fact that little kids suck on their finger then try to touch your face with it while you’re sitting down. That was gross.

Despite all of these things, it’s not necessarily what I remember most about my week at The Upper Room.

I remember how I would ask them what sound a lion makes and they would yell roar as load as they could. I remember how they obliviously drew on their faces with marker and were very confused when you were laughing and trying to get the marker away from their face and onto their paper. I mean why use paper when your face is right there, that’s normal right? I remember how they made me that much happier by saying something funny or coming and hugging me every day after nap time because they were so tired.

Those kids may have been gross at times, but I went in expecting that it was going to get a little messy. I came out surprised at how sweet these little kids are. I ended the week extremely worn out from the five days, but wishing I had more time I could spend with them.

Final Say: I may not want to teach three year olds, but they do happen to be really sweet kids and I can’t think of a better way I could have spent my week.