Seniors spin into “America’s Got Talent” tryout

Seniors spin into Americas Got Talent tryout

by: Mickey Redlingshafer

Imagine being told that you have the chance to tryout for the hit TV show “America’s Got Talent.” Now imagine only having one two hour practice to learn what you will do. This is exactly what happened to seniors Brianna Casey and Martha Ramirez. Casey and Ramirez participate in Mexican folk dance. Last semester they were covered in a story in the Dart that focuses on their dance group. Now, their team may have the opportunity to receive an all expense paid trip to Las Vegas to audition for “America’s Got Talent.” Casey and Ramirez traveled to St. Louis for their initial tryout on the ninth of January.

According to NBC’s website, “America’s Got Talent” is a TV show where celebrity judges Sharon Osbourne, Howie Mandel and Piers Morgan search America for individuals or groups with a unique talent. There is no age restriction on the search and all kinds of talents are shown, from singers to jugglers. The prize for the winner of this show is one million dollars.

According to Ramirez the dance group was contacted by the show’s producer, who asked them to try out.

“We had a performance at the new Kauffman Center, “ Ramirez said. “Someone video taped [the performance] and posted it on Youtube. A producer saw it and got in contact with us.”

According to both Casey and Ramirez, they only had one practice to prepare for the tryout.

“It was stressful [only having one practice],” Ramirez said. “But we had the mindset that we are going to do this tryout and we wanted to give it our best. I learned [the routine] all in one practice, all of us did. We had to change the choreography [of an old dance], but not the steps.”

According to Casey the judge they danced for was not one of the celebrity judges seen on TV.

“The judge was just one lady,” Casey said. “She was the casting producer that called us and asked to tryout. She was really nice, but you could tell she was kind of stressed out and busy.”

Casey explained if their team moves on they will participate again in April.

“[If we are chosen to move on] We would be sent to Vegas all expenses paid to tryout in front of the three celebrity judges,” Casey said.

Ramirez explained that both she and her parents would be excited for her to take a trip to Vegas for the tryout.

[My parents] think it is awesome [that I may get to go to Vegas],” Ramirez said. “[They think] it is a good for our group to get our name out there, but also they mentioned [to me] that ‘you’re representing Kansas City , STA, our family, and our culture.’ All in all they think it’s great opportunity.”

According to Casey they took a road trip for the tryout.

[We tried out in] Downtown [St. Louis],” Casey said. “[It was] like a block away from the arch, at the Regency Hotel.”

According to Casey there are a variety of people in her dance group, but not all of them were able to tryout.

“There are at least 40 [people in our dance group], “ Casey said. “From ages 4-35, but only 10 of us went [to tryout].”

According to Casey she was excited for the tryout but got nervous when the time came to preform.

“I wasn’t nervous until we were about to perform,” Casey said. “I was mostly excited for the road trip and to see the other people who were trying out. I was nervous once we stood in front of the judge.”

According to both Ramirez and Casey the producer reacted well to their tryout, and explained to the group that they will find out in March if they move on.

“The coolest part [of the tryout] was the producer liked it,” Ramirez said. “She liked our dancing, our talent. You could see it in her face and she asked us all a question, everyone. She really liked the performance and what we had to say.”