Star Spotlight: Annie Severns

What teenage girl hasn’t considered starting a podcast? Sophomore Annie Severns and her cousin followed through on this idea, and they say it’s one of the best decisions they’ve ever made.

Q: What is your podcast called?

A: It is called “Purple Feet and Banana,” which are our nicknames for each other. I call my cousin Purple Feet and she calls me Banana. We basically just talk about our lives or whatever is relevant in the world at the time. It’s kind of loosey-goosey, but it’s really fun.

Q: What inspired you to start your podcast?

A: Well, we just really wanted to. We love to listen to podcasts together; we have True Crime podcasts that we listen to. We decided it would be fun if we started one of our own. One night at a sleepover we just made an episode, and put it on Spotify. We told our friends about it, and then we just went from there.

Q: What is your favorite episode you have done?

A: Probably, “Weird Things About the U.S.” It was with one of Audrey’s exchange students. She was a Spanish exchange student, and I love that one. Getting to hear about the U.S. from a new perspective was super cool.

Q: What does the filming of an episode look like?

A: We have microphones. I think they’re like the Blue Yeti ones, but I’m not totally sure; Audrey does all that. We hook the microphones up to her old iPad, and just talk. We used to make a bunch of talking points, things like make sure you say this, this and this. We always made sure it wasn’t scripted because you can tell. That just feels unnatural and weird.

Q: What has been the most rewarding part of having podcast?

A: I like to listen back on it. Even if I’m just folding laundry it makes me laugh. I think we’re really funny, and we have such a good time doing it. It makes me happy to listen and think about all the fun we have making it.