To Trick-or-Treat or Not to Trick-or-Treat

Students at STA often question whether they should trick-or-treat or not. The Dart investigates this time of life of the in-between.

Trick-or-treat!” This phrase echoes in many students’ heads as a memory of a fun Halloween activity. However, as they grow older, this echo dulls into the sound of party music. St. Teresa’s students, especially freshmen, must decide whether they want to trick-or-treat this year or if it is behind them.
Freshman Ava Smith contemplates the “aging-out” idea just in time to decide her Halloween plans.
“I feel like I might be getting too old to trick-or-treat,” Smith said. “It’s kind of sad, but it has to be over sometime.”
Though many freshmen believe that going from door to door for treats is in the past, sophomore Wynn Generally happily went last year.
“I had to take my little brother, and my friends and I wanted free treats, so I went,” Generally said.
Many people go trick-or-treating because of their siblings or family responsibilities, despite their age.
“I don’t think there is any age to stop trick-or-treating,” Generally said. “People still do it, but it is mostly to walk their little siblings around.”
Some students, however, decide not to trick-or-treat no matter what circumstances.
“I went to my friend’s party last year,” sophomore Georgia Linebach-Dehart said.
According to popular opinion, age 14-15 is when people stop trick-or-treating.
“I feel like the most common age people stop is eighth grade,” Generally said.
Linebach-Dehart had many reasons not to trick-or-treat, but the spread of COVID-19 mainly ended her desire to trick-or-treat.
“I remember my school tried to do this thing where they had candy on a table or something,” Linebach-Dehart said. “It was lame, and no one trick-or-treated after that.”
Sickness is not the only safety concern regarding trick-or-treating. Walking up to random people for candy can on occasion lead to kidnappings or laced treats.
“It’s not safe to be out as young women, even though I would have friends around me,” Smith said. “I don’t really like knocking on people’s doors and asking for stuff.”
Despite the potential dangers of this Halloween activity, many people still trick-or-treat. According to the U.S government census, 73.1 million estimated children trick-or-treated in 2020. Generally is not surprised by this.                                                                                                           I like seeing all the fun costumes and getting free delicious candy,” Generally said.
In addition to treats, Halloween also presents some creative opportunities. According to Linebach-Dehart, costumes are a big way to express yourself and can be a deciding factor in whether to trick-or-treat or not.
“I think wearing something comfy or warm-ish is best if you are trick-or-treating,” Linebach-Dehart said. “Some people really care about costumes for parties, as long as it is good it does not have to be a cute little costume.”
Group costumes have become more and more popular, especially with age. Spending time with those friends is crucial to both partiers and trick-or-treaters.
“Going trick-or-treating with your friends is so fun,” Generally said. “It’s a great bonding experience to get closer.”
Linebach-Dehart believes Halloween is the best holiday because of this idea.
“Halloween is my favorite holiday,” Linebach-Dehart said. “So staying in with a few of my friends would be the most fun.”
Smith agrees with this testament.
“I might just have a couple close friends over and have a little Halloween party,” Smith said.
Though Smith plans to get together with close friends to hang out, for freshmen, it can be scary to make plans, especially when you could get made fun of.
“I have not made fun of people for trick-or-treating, but I’ve heard other people [do so],” Linebach-Dehart said. “Those are just lame people, though.”
In the end, the best plan for Halloween is what you feel comfortable with.
“Do what you want. It’s fun and you get free candy,” Generally said. “But also, just have fun with your friends. Watch scary movies or something.”