Ellie Schwartz: Just One Among Hundreds

CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE

This audio interview is part of a series completed by STA journalism students who sat down with middle school students from around Kansas City.  We hoped to find out the realities of middle school life, from dating to cliques, from playing violin to playing volleyball.  The series was inspired by Ira Glass’s public radio show This American Life and its episode “Middle School.”  Please check back each day for the next few weeks to listen to another installment.

by Eden Kreighbaum

The amount of students in a school can completely change what the experience is like. Ellie Schwartz, an eighth grader at Indian Hills Middle School, has previously gone to two different schools. They have all had a different size.

“It’s different because I went from St. Ann’s were the teachers knew the kids, what sports they played and their hobbies and stuff, to Mission Valley where I felt like the teachers still knew me as a student, to Indian Hills, where I feel like the teacher don’t know me at all,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz now goes to Indian Hills because Mission Valley and Indian Hills combined. She does not like the combination , but having so many student does have its benefits according to Schwartz.

“It has been really fun making new friends and stuff,” Schwartz said.

EDENKREIGHBAUM.mp3