The History of Advent

Advent is a liturgical season within the Catholic church when members prepare themselves for Christmas.

As Christmas approaches, Catholics begin celebrating the liturgical season of Advent to prepare for the celebration of Christ’s birth.

Advent was developed as a season of the church year in the late fourth century. The church created Advent primarily to provide a time for the final preparation of candidates for baptism.

Advent means “coming” or “arrival.” Advent now emphasizes both the celebration of Christ’s birth and also the Lord’s second coming. The first portion of Advent from the first Sunday to December 16 is preparation for the second coming of Christ. The second portion from December 17th to the 24th prepares for the commemoration of Christmas.

STA theology teacher, Adrianna Knifong, recognizes the importance of Advent.

“Advent is a liturgical season in the church,” Knifong said. Advent is a time of preparing your heart and soul in order to celebrate Christ’s birth. Obviously, Jesus came a long time ago, but we [Catholics] recelebrate this new year, and the incarnation which made salvation possible. “We [Catholics] revisit the different stories, revisit the different themes throughout the year. Advent is starting a new year in the church.”

During the season of Advent there are many traditions that represent aspects of the Catholic Church. One of these traditions is the wreath with candles that are lit every Sunday of Advent. 

The wreath originated in Germany in 1839. Johann Hinrich Wichern, a pastor in Germany, built a wreath out of an old cartwheel to help the children in his school count the days until Christmas. The candles are lit every Sunday of Advent and represent hope, peace, joy and love.

Knifong notes the significance of the candles.

“The Advent candles help symbolize different virtues that we [Catholics] should practice in order to prepare ourselves for Christmas,” Knifong said. “They mark the four weeks before Christmas and help us [Catholics] to stay focused on the goal, which is to celebrate Christ’s birth, which through his birth and salvation, eternal life was possible.”

There are many other traditions aside from the candles, such as Advent calendars and the Jesse tree, which represents the family tree of Jesus Christ. Each ornament on the tree shows a story from the Bible that tells about God’s people before Jesus was born. 

Knifong uses the Jesse tree to celebrate scripture.

“The Jesse tree represents different celebrations from the Old Testament from Hebrew scripture that we remember that paved the way for the Messiah,” Knifong said. “The Jesse tree is where the modern Christmas tree transformed from. “More popular right now is Advent calendars, this idea that we are preparing and doing little things to get ready and excited for Christmas.”