Local shopping: better for you and for your community

by Chelsea Birchmier

There is no way I’d rather spend a lovely spring morning than outside, examining the fresh produce and homemade goods of local farmers while enjoying the enthralling stories they have to tell about their products and their lives. At the downtown Farmers’ Market, I don’t just love the high quality produce; the welcoming environment and the satisfaction of supporting a fellow community member draw me in every time.

chelsea-birchmierBy typical grocery store standards, local produce may not meet requirements. After shopping locally, however, my personal standards have changed. From my experience, a small, round tomato from Wal-Mart does not have nearly as much flavor as a giant, misshapen tomato that was hand-grown and picked by a farmer. Since grocery stores have to appeal to large masses of people, their produce must be aesthetically-pleasing. But in reality, appearance has nothing to do with taste. Local farmers know their customers trust them, so they worry about quality rather than appearance.

The open, friendly environment of most locally-owned businesses also gives them an edge over corporation-run companies. No salesperson has ever assisted me in selecting produce at a large grocery store, which, of course, I would expect, as that is not part of the job description. For local farmers, though, working with customers comes with selling their items. Ask local farmers about their peaches, and they’ll explain how they were grown, where they were grown, how much they cost, and even the reasons why they cost what they do. If you want to know about your grocery store peaches, check the sticker that says “Georgia;” that’s about all you’re going to get. Farmers also give you valuable advice about produce. A farmer once told me that once you pick peaches, they don’t ripen anymore. Basically, those hard peaches at the grocery store never ripen; they only soften.

While local produce may cost more upfront, the benefits for the community outweigh the slightly higher prices. When you buy locally, you’re not just supporting one member of the community, but you’re supporting the whole community. Money that goes to people in a community is far more likely to return to the community than money that goes to a corporate head somewhere miles away. And once farmers begin to receive more support, they can produce more goods, which will allow them to lower their prices. Local production also saves money and energy, since it does not require shipments of produce from all over the world.

With all of its benefits, I’ve come to love shopping locally. I still buy certain items at the grocery store, but now, the Farmers’ Market has become part of my life. Of all of the great experiences that come with shopping at the market, my favorite has to be the instant bond you form when you buy something from a person who lives in your community. You instantly trust someone when you know he or she worked hard to grow produce for you exactly the way it should be grown. The peppers may be multicolored, and the squash might be two sizes two big, but they’re perfect, because you know a local Kansas Citian, your neighbor, grew them just for you.