True Life: I’m addicted to celebrity gossip

True Life: Im addicted to celebrity gossip
by Emily McCann

I have a sick obsession with celebrity news. It is common knowledge that the first step to curing addictions is recognizing that you have a problem. I fully and completely acknowledge my illness, however that doesn’t mean that I am ready to change my behavior. Not anytime soon at least.

There are many stereotypes that come with people like me who can’t get enough of Kim’s divorce or Jessica’s pregnancy. Maybe I sound stupid or shallow for caring about these unimportant subjects. And I’m sure people who see me surfing People.com during a free period wonder why I am wasting my time on other people’s insignificant drama when I have a chem lab that needs to get done. Or why it actually matters to me that William and Kate will be renovating their quarters in the palace.

Just to clarify, I this obsession hasn’t taken over my life (yet). I don’t spend hundreds of dollars a year in magazines and tabloids, I don’t cut my hair, do my makeup or dress like my favorite celebrity. I don’t have posters in my room or a collection of books.

But celebrity gossip makes my crazy, stressful life seem normal. When I think about how awful Demi Moore’s life has been lately, with her dangerously thin body and an impending divorce from husband Ashton Kutcher, my crazy day full of homework and tests seems relatively easy and manageable. At least the entire world isn’t watching as my life falls apart, right?

Celebrities and their messed up families/spouses/lives make me appreciate my own family. Every time I hear something about Miley Cyrus and family, I want to go give my parents the largest hug of the century and thank them profusely for being half normal. And every time I read about Justin and Selena, I momentarily hate her for stealing Justin from me, and then I praise the Lord that the media isn’t watching my every move with my boyfriend (if I had one).

The celebrity news stories are entertaining, but what really gets me are the photo galleries. I get insanely jealous. I mean really Nicole Richie, this is what you wear to workout? You look more stylish than I could ever hope to be, EVER. And Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon, can I have your closets? I don’t care that you both are 20 plus years older than me, you are super trendy yet extremely classy, and awesome and I wish I could look as effortless as both of you.

So to all the people out there who are judging me right now, I know I have a problem. At least I’m reading though, right? I love celebrities. They are famous and (almost) always look good and their stories are insanely entertaining. I can’t get enough.