A message to those Christmas obsessed

A message to those Christmas obsessed
By Meghan Lewis

We’ve all seen them. Those crazy old women who wear nothing but red and green sweaters adorned with mittens, ice skaters, snowmen or Christmas trees. Those over-the-top houses with an entire nativity scene in their yard, a life size inflatable snow globe, and blinding Christmas lights that make the neighbors shut their blinds. Those psycho shoppers who have ten carts full of ornaments, running around on a little too much eggnog. Yes, I’m talking about those who are off their Christmas colored rocker. I’m talking about those who are utterly and undeniably Christmas obsessed.

My own grandmother can be classified as one of these holiday-aholics, with a whopping 250 plus Santa figurines stored in her house for the Christmas season. Yes, you read that right. I did in fact say my grandmother owns over 250 Santas. I guess you could say she has a soft spot for the jolly, fat man in the red suit, but why? Why do so many feel the need to embellish their house, yard, or even their selves with nothing but Christmas? Don’t get me wrong, I am more than merry when the most wonderful season of all rolls around. I mean, who doesn’t love Christmas carols, movies, and that magical feeling in the air? Christmas rocks. Not because you have the best decorated house on the block, the biggest Christmas tree, or even the best gift. Christmas rocks because of the meaning that comes with it.

We were all taught that Christmas is a time for peace on earth, joy, hope, and love. Growing up we learned that Christmas is the season of giving, not receiving. I often feel the world gets caught up in Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and other hectic holiday tasks, losing sight of the reason for the season. Christmas isn’t about fancy packages wrapped up in bows and pretty paper, and it is certainly not about elaborate yards with figurines, inflatable characters and lights that require sunglasses when viewing. If you are a holiday-aholic put down the Christmas shopping list, or the letter to Santa and think- Do I really need a 20th Christmas sweater to wear this season? Do I really need another fake reindeer for the herd that has already accumulated in my yard? I hope your answer is no. It’s probably stressing you out, and it’s definitely freaking me out. So all I ask of you over-the-top Christmas lovers is this- stop and think about the meaning of Christmas. This is not a time for Christmas hoarding, this is a time for giving. Giving a toy to a child without one this season, giving your time to family and friends, and giving out Christmas cheer to those who need it. Let go of that 251st Santa figurine and ask yourself- Is this what Christmas is really about?