True Life: I’m addicted to my Android

True Life: Im addicted to my Android
by Katie Parkinson

The clock on my phone read 1 a.m.. I paused my game of Angry Birds and looked over at the pile of homework on my desk, wondering why I had let myself get so distracted. Then I looked back down at my new wonderful, awesome, smartphone. Oh yeah, that’s why.

When I had my old phone a little kid once asked me if it was real, innocently telling me it looked like something you could get in a McDonald’s Happy Meal. It was small and white, with a tiny screen. The front cover had several cracks and it was about an inch thick.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I finally got an Android smartphone. It’s sleek, lightweight, and I love the touch screen. Since then, it’s been my number one time waster. I mean, Facebook, a phone, internet and a portable, music playing device all in one? I also have way too much fun finding apps on the Market. Recently I’ve had to cut back on my downloads because I don’t have enough space on my phone.

I have six music apps, five photo editor apps, 17 game apps, five social networking apps, seven tools apps, and various other miscellaneous apps that I find useful or entertaining.

For instance, I have an audiobook app, hoping one day that the book I’m reading in Himes’ class will turn up on there so I can listen to it late at night after procrastinating all day. And to help me relax after a hard day of work (it’s been known to happen) I like to look at my shark aquarium, sandy beach, or starry space live wallpapers.

Some of my favorites are the classic Tap Tap Revenge 4, and the STA must-have, Bubble Shooter. Recently I also became hooked on two games called Ancient Tree Frog and Banana Dress Up Lite. The first is a cute little game where you guide the frog to the flies it wants to eat. The second… is pretty self explanatory.

Despite how much fun I have staying up crazy late on my phone, it’s taking a toll on my homework and study habits, not to mention my sleep. So for my New Year’s resolution I’m going to turn off my phone, stuff it somewhere in the back of my closet (out of sight out of mind, right?) and stop procrastinating. I have a feeling that if I actually concentrate on that chemistry and French homework and study for my math test, I’ll not only be done faster, (and go to sleep sooner) I’ll finally understand the material.

Until then, I’ll probably still be on my Android, dressing up a banana or checking one last Facebook update.