Uniforms go from trashy to classy

Uniforms go from trashy to classy
By Emma Wheatley

Oh, the uniform drama. It seems as if somebody is always complaining about it. And yes, I know, it gets tiring to hear. It may be unfair that we can only have certain hair colors and that piercings are banned from being on our faces, but we have the rest of our lives for that kind of self expression. Whining about not getting to do everything we want will get us nowhere. We go to a private school- it’s not like they aren’t allowed to put restrictions on us. We chose to go here knowing full well that these are the rules. Instead of dwelling on the negatives, we need to look at the positive side of things. And personally, the positive side is that our uniforms have never looked better.

Think back to the end of last year. Those skirts were getting a little worn for their wear. Some skirts were so short that it was mildly disturbing. People’s shorts were hanging out. Name one other place where you have seen someone walking around with a skirt barely covering their backside and a pair of shorts down to their knees. What is that? Can that be defined as a trend? A fad? An unfortunate misjudgment of the length of shorts in comparison to the length of skirt? Whatever it was, it’s over, and I think that everyone is secretly a little relieved.

The new skirt length is perfect. It’s not too short, but it’s also not too long. Paired with the new black (not to mention slimming) polo and a cardigan, it’s particularly classy. And isn’t that what we need? We are an impeccable group of girls with intelligence to match, and it’s high time that we started looking like it.

I’m not saying that looks are everything. They aren’t even the half of what is really important. But as a college preparatory institution, we need to show some modesty in the way we dress and start thinking about how we are presenting ourselves to the community. It won’t be long before we are interviewing for jobs and I am positive that in that kind of setting, trashy isn’t going to cut it.