Studies link exercise to depression

Studies link exercise to depression
by Chelsea Birchmier

Clinical studies have long documented the positive effects of exercise on depression and stress, with experiments dating as far back at 1981. Recently, some doctors have even begun to prescribe exercise as a treatment for depression.

Scientifically, research has proven that running can make people feel happier. Exercising causes the brain to release endorphins, chemicals that affect one’s mood. A “runner’s high,” which is described as a euphoric feeling after an intense run, results from a flood of these endorphins.

“Overall, exercising does significantly help,” Kansas City nurse practitioner Lezlee Price said. “It increases the endorphins, which makes you feel better about yourself. For people who have anxiety, it basically burns a lot of that and allows them to be more calm. The question is, do you have a person who is going to be able to stay on an exercise regime? Are they disciplined enough to be on an exercise regime to get them out of depression?”

Dr. Madhukar Trivedi of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center tested 126 people who suffered depression and also did not exercise. They were separated into two groups, one that performed easier aerobic exercises for around 10 minutes a day, and another that would walk or jog 30 minutes a day. The results from The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry show a 15.5 percent success rate in treating depression in the group that ran less, and a 28.3 percent rate in the group that ran more.

Senior Stephanie Hampel, who has run cross country since freshman year, believes that running benefits people who suffer from stress.

“I think a lot of people don’t understand why we run,” Hampel said. “But I like it just because it’s my time during the day when it’s quiet. It’s time to let out any stress and just kind of be for a little while. It’s a good relaxation method, and it makes me feel good afterwards.”

Based on the effects of running on stress, Hampel believes exercise could help patients with depression.

“I think as time goes on more psychiatrists should prescribe running,” Hampel said. “I’ve been in bad moods before, and running has made me feel better. Running is a natural thing to make you feel happy.”

While STA therapist Peg Marland supports running for its mental and physical benefits, she believes people may require more than exercise to treat depression.

“Exercising is great, but it’s not a cure,” Marland said. “There is something underlying to look at as well. A lot of people with depression also have repressed anger and are afraid to express it. They’re holding down a very important feeling, and that takes a lot of energy.”

Whether or not people believe that running can treat depression, most agree that exercise’s positive benefits make it worthwhile.

“People shouldn’t be afraid to go out and run, even if you’ve never run before,” Hampel said. “You don’t have to be the best person in the world to get something out of a run. Obviously you don’t have to be running 5 minute miles, 26 mile marathons or anything. A couple miles outside by yourself or with a friend can do a lot to boost your mood.”