My Life Sucks, My Life Rocks

From small miracles to tripping down the stairs students recall wonderful and unfortunate life experiences.

Volume 71 Issue one:

My life rocks

“I went to an 18-day adventure camp [in Hawaii] and I met Jayden Smith and Rico from ‘Hannah Montana.’ I learned how to surf, kayak and scuba dive in the ocean. I went to Honolulu and Kauai and camped out on the beach. . . and [also did] a little community service..”

Lindsay Fiola, freshman

My life sucks

“So, over the summer I went to a summer intensive camp for ballet. I stayed in this frat house with a bunch of my friends. I was walking [out of the room] not paying attention and I accidentally opened the fire alarm door in the middle of the night, and the alarm was so loud! There were people running out [of the bathroom] in their towels screaming and little kids crying and everyone else was asleep. Everyone had to get up really early the next morning because it was the first day. Then the police came, and I felt so bad because it was all my fault!”

Lilly Conwell, freshman

Volume 71 Issue two:

My life rocks

When my friend, Elena Spaulding, and I got to Starlight Theater for the Train and Maroon Five concert  we were as far away from the stage as possible. As soon as Train started singing these two ladies came over to us and asked us if we were alone. They pulled out two tickets and led us to different seats. We kept getting closer, and closer to the stage until we finally stopped. We were at the fifth row! My life rocks!

Menley Brennan, junior

My life sucks

It was my second day taking a French class at Rockhurst University. There was nowhere to park in the parking lot, so I parked on a side street and went to class. When I got back to my car, there was a parking ticket on my windshield for $25. My violation? Parking in “vendor parking”. Even better? The security guard wrote up the wrong car and wrong time… And I probably still have to pay the fine. My life sucks.

Cassie Odneal, senior

Volume 71 Issue three:

My life rocks

My aunt is good friends with the people who opened for Taylor Swift, so we got a private concert from him. Then we were standing by this mini stage, and Taylor ended up beginning there so we got to be in the front row for a little. We met this woman and it ended up being Taylor’s mom. She took us up to the front and we watched the rest of the concert with her mom.

Kim Fryer, sophomore

My life sucks

I was babysitting someone for the first time last Saturday. The dad told me they lived in the yellow house on the corner off of 61st. When I saw the house, I called my dad to tell him I was here. He told me to just walk in. I rang the doorbell and a man answered holding back his dog; I walked right in and introduced myself. He asked if I needed some help, then my phone rang and the guy I’m really supposed to be babysitting for tells me that I am probably at the wrong house because there are two yellow houses on corners.

Anna Meyers, senior