Praise Band is cool

Praise Band is cool
by Celia O’Flaherty

It’s that moment when freshman Hillary Talken belts out the words to a song.  It’s when Cricket Martin rocks out on the drums, when you are expecting to just sing another verse of “Sacred Silence.”  It’s when the every student is holding “thumbs-up” and “L” signs in the air while singing “Yes, Lord.”  It’s Praise Band.

Early last year, music teacher Michelle McIntire organized a small group of musicians called “Praise Band” who perform at each mass.  Since then, the group of five singers has multiplied into a 22 student band, complete with a keyboardist, drummer, guitarist, violinist and many singers.

Here are some of the first members of Praise Band:

[simage=14,max,y,center,]

Not only has this band grown in membership, but it has also increased student participation during mass.  Now, Praise Band is one of the things I look forward to most at mass.  Every time senior Mackenzie Jones sings her heart out or beautifully plays the violin during one of the songs, I can’t help but smile, and there is always someone who says, “Whoa, she’s really good.”

All I have to say is, way to go girls.  Not that I can speak from experience, but I am guessing it’s not easy singing in front of the entire school, not to mention trying to get them to sing along.  You have guts, let alone a lot of talent.  And let’s not forget Mrs. McIntire.  You wouldn’t believe how much time and effort she and the girls put into this.  I remember coming to school in the summer, a few weeks before the start of the school year, and hearing them practice for the prayer service the first day of school.  Every week, I look at the “Lunch/Activity Schedule” on Moodle and see a Praise Band practice

All in all, if I had the talent, I would be running over to the music room to have Mrs. McIntire sign me up right now.  But unfortunately, I have no musical talent whatsoever.  So I encourage you, aspiring musicians, to sign up for Praise Band.  It is not only a chance to meet other girls with your same interests, but it is a chance to get students really excited for mass, which is not easy.  And students like me, who cannot join:  sing at mass — do the hand signs for “Yes Lord” and encourage others to follow your example– it makes everything much more fun and interactive at mass.

Finally, show those Praise Band girls your appreciation.  I know I’m not the only student who was surprised by the amazing talent I saw at our first mass.  I am so proud to watch those girls, especially the ones who have stuck with it for the past year, and I can’t wait to see what they come up with next.
Praise Bands rocks, it is as simple as that.

Final Say: Girls with musical talents should sign up for Praise Band and those without should participate during mass.