Tumblr encourages creativity, inspires new obsession

by Christina Barton

I am in love with Tumblr.

Tumblr is essentially a social media site, but it promotes more freedom and creativity than Facebook or Twitter. You create a page and you can easily post anything you like on it. Tumblr is about showing others what interests you and also exploring what other people are interested in, whether that is art, film, photography, music, poetry, etc.

After discovering Tumblr, I quickly made my own page and joined the Tumblr world. I picked a clever name for my page, rubdabuddha (my page picture explains this name) then chose a theme and began posting. After a few weeks, I have discovered many great things about Tumblr. Here are a few:

1. You can find a page about anything from architecture to photography to random people like me who just like to post random things. One of my favorite pages is archi-tecture, a page that showcases amazing architecture from around the world. Another cool page I discovered is Black and white, which has incredible black and white photos. And of course I like the page that got me started on Tumblr, honeyyyimhome.

2. You can post as many inspirational quotes as you want without getting on everyone’s nerves. I have posted six in a matter of a week, from Ghandi to John Lennon to Kurt Cobain.

3. Like Twitter, you can follow certain pages and like the newsfeed on Facebook, their posts will show up on one page called the dashboard.

4. It is never ending entertainment. You click on 1 page and soon you have seen 20 different pages.

5. You can do with your page what you want because Tumblr has few limitations.

6. When you get bored with your page theme or decide you want to change your page name (I have three times in only a week), you can do so without creating a new page.

While Tumblr might just be the next social media “craze,” its concept as a artsy blog site will make it last and continue to make it grow. Whether you love photography, architecture, music, or random quotes, Tumblr is great place to express your interests and share them with others. Check it out and you may have a new favorite social media site.