Trainer explains causes and prevention for athletic injuries

by Emily McCann

SHOULDER INJURY

Emily Wemhoff

I had biceps tendonitis from swinging my shoulder at tryouts (2 a days) a lot in a short amount of time. I just had to make sure I did a lot of stretching and warmed up really good or else it hurt to swing my arm. I wore kinesio tape on my shoulder for a while to prevent it from hurting. Over time it just got better because I wasn’t hitting as much and I stretched a lot better. I still have a little pain but I just stretch out.

How to prevent it: According to STA trainer Lisa Gross, icing shoulders after a strenuous practice can help prevent injuries. This helps the shoulders recover from strenuous activity.

HIP INJURY

Quinn Kernell

Sport: XC

Injury: The muscles in my hips aren’t firing correctly, so whenever I run or dance my hips don’t keep my leg in line, and my knees have to do all the work so it puts stress on my knees and makes them hurt.

Daily Life: Mainly only hurts when I do my sports

How to prevent it: Gross says icing hips and stretching the hip flexors instead of the hamstrings.

KNEE INJURIES

Annie Keel:

Sport: Cross Country

Injury: “I have a condition in both knees called chondromalacia patella.”

How she got it: “I got it gradually, over time it just started because I was running so much so fast and it caused a ton of damage. Right now I’m seeing a physical therapist and wearing knee tape everyday.”

How it affects everyday life: “It causes me pain on and off during the day. I feel it a lot when I’m doing things like stairs.

How to prevent it: According to Gross working your way up to strenuous activity and high mileages is the best way to prevent injury.