Silent study is not so silent

The rooster just crowed, and the sun just rose. I’m now wide-eyed and bushy-tailed on Monday, period one, at 7:46 a.m., in silent study. Well, not exactly. When I sit down to begin my Spanish homework due next period, all I need is a little paz y silencio. Peace and quiet. That is what I bargained for when I thought of a place where it was silent . . . and I could study . . . Silent study? Perfect choice. I have obviously had a rough night of procrastination and lack of sleep, as my mind is already drifting, and I just need to crack down and focus.

As a typical early-arriver to silent study, the Commons are all mine. I have plenty of spots to pick from and plenty of silence to absorb. In the time span of about 7:46 to around 8:01, I can basically hear crickets chirp, it’s so quiet. But, after 8:01, all heck breaks loose. You would think the Ringling Brothers circus came to town. The tardy people start flooding in, stomping around, dragging their feet, making a huge racket. I lose total focus already, just by these nonverbal actions. The noise-makers comfortably settle in without any respect for the surrounding studiers and mark their territory. We’re off to a bad start and it’s only 8:05. “Okay you’re just hustling in to avoid a late slip and are a little disheveled by your own morning problems. I get it, it has happened to all of us,” I thought. But, I would think since you have already turned heads when parading in with lions, elephants and fire rings, you would become a little embarrassed and make an effort to not disturb anyone the rest of the period.

This is most definitely not the case. Noises start filling my normal area in the corner, where I purposely sit to avoid the nuisance. These noises do not involve the culprit(s) getting situated with their studies and unzipping backpacks or clipping binders, which is totally acceptable. Instead, you are chit-chatting away as if you were on a lunch date. There are just pods of you scattered throughout the Commons, sitting and gossiping away like it’s nobody’s business. I hate to be frank, but I would much rather listen to a Josh Groban CD than to you talking about Sally Sue who likes Tom’s second cousin’s best friend. However, I do have a sliver of respect for that one girl who asks a quick question to her friend about a math problem. To be honest, I do that when worse comes to worst.

Regardless, I have much more respect for my surrounding peers, like me, who actually use this silent environment. Why even go into an area labeled “silent study” when you’re going to have a jab sesh with your besties? Granted, I do enjoy socializing with my gal pals, but I save it for lunch/activity. Here’s a thought: go to an area where talking is allowed, or even encouraged. It just seems a tad bit ironic to talk in a place that is supposed to be silent. Hate to state the obvious, but it’s not called “talking study.” Even Ms. McKee’s constant “Girls, please be quiet” is muffled by your banter. She then has to make her rounds and personally tell you to quiet yourselves. Come on Academy, silence is golden.

Final Say: In describing my complaint/hopes for the better, I am going to be short and sweet: silent study is not so silent anymore.