Students should be allowed to eat in the yard

Yard days are the best. You get a day to just be silly, fun, energetic; in short, a kid. We need a little more of that around here.

STA is a rigorous institution that has instilled in us values of hard work and discipline. Don’t get me wrong: I will be eternally grateful for these life lessons. But one thing the academy could do better is just let us be kids every once in a while.

This recent student appreciation day combined with Mr. Thomas’ hypothetical question at publication night (what STA rule would you change if you could) got me thinking. Why can’t we eat just outside when the weather is nice?

I know the construction has made it hard this year, but why couldn’t we in the past? I thought eating by the picnic tables and down on the soccer field was extremely refreshing. It was a nice substitution for our normal picnics in the quad.

It gave us a deviation from the norm and a way to forget our constant stresses if only for one activity period.

If asking for the ban on eating outside to be lifted is too much to ask, then why can’t we at least be able to a couple times a month?

Personally, I love it when Ms. Hoecker gets on the announcements, remarks on what a beautiful day it is and rewards us with lunch in the yard.

Moderators shouldn’t be a problem. We usually have three lunch room moderators every day. We may be loud, but we aren’t that unruly. We could split the teachers up and have some inside and some out. I’m sure they would love a nice lunch outside every once in a while, too.

So students, if we are given a yard day, don’t blow it. Don’t run out into the street and get hit by a car. Don’t leave your trash to decorate the soccer field. Basically, don’t do anything you wouldn’t normally do in the Commons.

Administrators, at least consider letting students eat in the yard more often. Try it, and if we mess up we lose our privileges (which we won’t, right girls?).

Please. I need a recess from this stress.