Senior bids farewell to STA, Dart

Senior bids farewell to STA, Dart

This is it, everyone. The moment I know you all have been waiting for: my farewell to the Dart. I don’t know what to say to not make this one of those generic senior farewell columns, but sadly it is. There are only a few things and people that I will miss from my time at STA.

I’ll miss Morgan Said, our leader who likes to call herself mom, which makes me slightly uncomfortable. So instead, I prefer to think of her as a sister. I’ll miss our late night phone calls that start out about newspaper and end with a random conversation about how we are going to get back at the Rockhurst boys at the Prep News. Or a late night sleepover at her house where she falls asleep during our heart to hearts. Sorry I bore you, Ms. Joy. But really Smorgs, I’m not quite sure what I’ll do with out you next year. It’s really not too late to change your mind and meet Meg and I at MU.

As I sit here writing this column, I find myself having what I like to call a Megan Schaff moment. Some hair tugging, eye-rolling and lastly the uttered phrase, “I just can’t do this right now,” has slipped from my lips. I won’t miss you though Megan, because you’re going to school with me next year. We can re-hash this conversation about missing you in four years.

I’ll miss Laura Neenan passing around song request lists, so that she can heighten the “mood” at a publication night. Stay golden, Ponyboy.

I’ll miss Kirsty McGhie, the friendly neighbor girl who lives down my street, who often creepily corrects me by starting sentences with “erm…actually…” in “that” voice.

I’ll miss Cassie Redlingshafer, cherishing the few moments where she actually showed up to class.

I’ll miss Kathleen Hough who I refer to as a Sour Patch kid because first she’s sour, then she’s sweet. She jokingly (but not really) greets me in class with a threat to chop off my hair, only to lean over minutes later with a one-armed hug and say, “I love you.” …Sometimes I really don’t think you do, Kathleen. kjuohgiyfvrt6fv86rfvt8gyb7yhb…She just did that to my computer whilst attacking me.

I’ll miss Cele Fryer “reporting live” for her vlog on DNO.

I’ll miss Sarah Wirtz who takes time out of her weekends to take senior pictures of me, merely because she is a good friend.

I’ll miss Taylor Woodruff, who helps me take pictures when I have no idea what I’m doing.

I’ll miss Betsy Tampke, always prepared with a sarcastic comment from behind the student Mac laptop that she has claimed as her own.

I’ll miss Kara Pruitt, who spent an hour and thirty minutes posing for a photo for the front page in freezing cold rain. Sorry again, Kara.

I’ll miss my talented Dart staff: each and everyone of you is the best of the best. WE ARE TREMENDOUS.

And of course, I’ll miss Mr. Thomas, the patriarch of my second family and my mentor for four years. Words cannot express how grateful I am for the opportunities that he has given all of us. I can only hope that one day I will love my future career as much as he loves his.

Nowhere will I ever find a place like STA. Like Catherine Arensberg said, I will be one of those crazy women who chase after a girl in the coveted tartan plaid. I might even ask her to babysit, just because she is an Academy girl.