Chillin’ at the Quality Inn

When our journey began, there were five members in my wolf pack.  By the end of our stay in Detroit, there were 27 of us, all heading to the beaches of Cancun.

It all began on our flight at Kansas City International airport when we boarded our plane at 6:10 a.m. As we were taking our seats and beginning our naps, the lights all turned off, causing in everyone having to get off the plane. We only had an hour layover in Detroit, which meant we would probably have to run to make our next flight, but we were happy because we would still arrive in Cancun by 2 p.m. That would have all been perfect if we didn’t have to wait an hour for the ‘problem’ to be solved. We met new friends, 22 of them to be exact, that were all trying to get to the same place we were.  They were young and old, some venturing for spring break from Kansas, others on a family vacation from Iowa. We were finally able to board the plane an hour late, and that two hour flight seemed endless. When our plane finally landed, all 27 of my wolf pack members ran off the plane and through the airport like wolves chasing a gazelle (more of a workout than I was supposed to do for my play-it, Playa vacation diet). When we saw Gate 64 in the distance, our feet brought us to an immediate halt. The plane was no longer able to be seen and left all 27 of us stranded in the Detroit airport.

With thirteen hours until our flight the next morning, we ventured to a Mexican restaurant as a joke for not being in Mexico. The chicken in my quesadillas seemed to have a weird, green tint to it. Morgan’s enchiladas were too small and spicy, with that green sauce on top.Lunch was basically a fail. The moms in our group wanted Morgan, Kristen and I to look forward to the hotel we would be staying in that night.
Quality Inn? That can really be the name of a hotel? After seeing it for the first time, the name made sense. We sat in the lobby while the moms checked in and all we could do was tweet and laugh about how miserable we were. Since there was no pool and nothing to do, we all took naps. I began to cry, images of Mexico and the beach flowing through my head and sending me to sleep. After our 4 hour nap, Morgan and I ventured to check out the gym. Mirrors lined the walls, and equipment filled the room; there was only one problem: it smelled like sweat and Detroit all mixed into one. As five of us cuddled on the couch in the lobby, we watched television and ordered pizza. Surprisingly, we went to bed early that night. The next morning was finally the day of take off for Cancun. We waited anxiously in the lobby waiting for the shuttle. We met a new friend, a pilot, on the way to the airport. He gave each of us a pair of plastic Delta wings, and at that time, we realized they would help us make it out of that city.  Detroit, it was nice to see you, but I won’t be back anytime soon.