New chapel, same old STA

I think some assume (hope) that along with the addition of the Chapel of St. Joseph, we STA students would all magically transform into reverent Catholic school girls.

False.

In reality, despite how reverent (?) we may have appeared during the ceremony, we are still the same old students.

The same students who don’t sing along to the hymns.

The same students who fall asleep on their friends’ shoulders during the readings.

The same students who chat during the homily.

The same students who wore running shorts under their skirts today.

During the most historically significant event on STA’s campus in over a decade, STA students, in reality, acted no different than a typical prayer service.

Not that I expected much different. Slapping on a $50 skirt and top won’t transform us, just as a chapel won’t.

It seems to me as if this chapel is in part an attempt to Catholic-ize the school. But the problem is, in reality, having a brand-spanking new chapel doesn’t make us any more Catholic.

A new building is exactly that– a new building.

What we need to build is reverence, not a new chapel, if we want to change the attitudes and behaviors of STA students.

That means…

• No more sleeping.
  • No more buzzing of voices after communion (the best time to talk)
  • No more silence during songs.

Although Reverence Girl’s messages to the school last year reminded us of our responsibilities at church, we all could use a refresher course. Especially if the administrators and campus ministry want us to treat mass more like mass and less like nap time.