Taming the stage

In a scene set up like a boxing match, Taming of the Shrew leads, Bryan Brown and sophomore Sarah Kostoryz face off.  Brown strikes the first blow, but both actors end up wrestling on the stage floor in a comedic battle of the sexes.
“The fight scene was my favorite,” director Shana Prentiss said.  “I envisioned it as being very physical, and Sarah and Bryan really embraced and understood that.”
Kostoryz caught attention as the fiery female lead in STA’s winter play.  Kostoryz played Patruchia (originally Patruchio) in Prentiss’s twist on Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew.
In Prentiss’s adaptation, Kostoryz played a “gold-digging businesswoman” with stereotypically male characteristics who woos a foul-tempered young man in pursuit of his large dowry. Patruchia throws fits, boxing gloves, boots, food and clothing in a charade to give Katrino a taste of his own medicine.

According to Prentiss, Kostoryz understood how physical Patruchia’s character was at auditions.

“From the moment she got on the stage, she was up in everyone’s face,” Prentiss said.

Prentiss preserved Shakespeare’s original story line in her gender reversal adaptation. Kostoryz’s character tames and marries the unbearable Katrino.
According to Shrew cast member Elena Spaulding, Kostoryz and Prentiss tried different approaches to the character of Patruchia.
“First, she tried [playing Patruchia] as a crazy schizophrenic,” sophomore Spaulding said. “Then she tried playing the part as a man, and it just clicked.”

Kostoryz knew the play from Ms. Carrie Jacquin’s English I class freshman year. To prepare for the play, the cast watched a slapstick comedy that inspired the boxing scene.

The cast also watched a movie adaptation of Shrew to “see the transition from ‘I hate you’ to ‘I love you,'” Kostoryz said.

Preparing for her role, Kostoryz mostly worked with sophomore Morgan Trees and RHS senior Brown, who played Katrino. The character study for Patruchia mostly involved talking about what kind of woman she was.

‘Bryan and I talked through it a lot,” Kostoryz said.  “While Ms. Prentiss was directing other people, we went off and did our own thing.’

Originally, Kostoryz did not intend to try out for Shrew.
‘At first, I really didn’t want to [audition for the play],’ Kostoryz said.  “My boyfriend and my family kind of convinced me to go.”According to Spaulding, Kostoryz played Patruchia as a dominant, larger than life character.

“It was a little scary watching her during rehearsal,” Spaulding said. “But she was the glue that kept [the cast] together.”

Playing larger than life characters was not new to Kostoryz.  Last year, she played an egotistical reverend in Greater Tuna, her first STA production.  Kostoryz played three male roles at STA and performances at the Fringe Fest in Scotland.

For next year, Kostoryz is considering another STA production.

‘I’m thinking about whether I can do a musical or not,” Kostoryz said.  “I’ve never taken singing lessons, so that’s something I may look into. I danced for nine years, but I don’t know!’