Seniors: there is a suprise in the lunchroom

As the activity 2 bell rings each day, I make an effort leave the comforts of the basement of Donnelly Hall and take a minute away from my school work. I travel across the quad, down the halls of the M&A building and trek down the stairs to enjoy a nice meal I packed in one of my various lunch boxes. As I enter the Commons, I am disappointed to see that the entire lunchroom has been deserted.

Where is everyone? Where are all the seniors? What happened to, “it’s senior year, let’s just have fun” mentality that we should be embracing?

I look down in the ‘pit’ to see only a few tables full of friends cracking jokes and just having fun. While the designated area for the seniors remains empty, the surrounding ring of the ‘pit’ has tables overflowing with sophomores.

Why can’t we have what they have? It is our couple months together as a class, so why are we not spending it together?

It is little moments in the lunchroom that make everyone’s days more enjoyable. No one wants to look back on their senior year and remember the overwhelming stress. Seniors, let’s not wait for our monthly feasts to get together at lunch. Our senior class should take the time everyday to stop, take a break from the stress of school work or college applications and just spend time together.

The first step in making this dream of mine come true is starting with myself. I admit, I have spent my fair share of lunches away from the Commons. There is always a meeting to attend, test to cram for or comfortable corner of a teacher’s classroom to spend activity 2 in. But I promise to make an honest effort if each one of you do.

Seniors, if you hesitate for a minute to join your fellow classmates for lunch, just think of this. From this day forward, there will be a surprise in the Commons every single day. The surprise could be cupcakes, maybe it will be brownies or maybe it will be clowns. The surprise could be something as simple as a laugh, a smile or life long friendships. So seniors, head to the Commons and see all of the magical things it has to offer.

The Final Say:

The senior class needs to step away from their school work and come to the Commons for lunch.