The (St. Teresa’s) Academy Awards

In light of awards season, with the Oscars just around the corner, the Dart polled the ‘Stars’ of STA to discover the best of the best places and things in our school, creating the first ever Academy Awards. After surveying the Academy, the students’ voices were heard, as they chose the winners of anything from the best water fountain to the best day to be a Star.

The votes are cast, the winners are in. . .

BATHROOM: Third floor Donnelly Hall

Acceptance speech: “It’s really open and clean and there is always really nice smelling soaps and lotions. Thank you, Ms. Montag.” Grace Crowe, junior

Runner Up: 2nd floor M&A Building

CANDY STASH: Development Office

Acceptance speech: “We think the kids come in here because they love our candy and they love us. But, we hope that they love us more than the candy.” Ms. Joan Jordan, development/special events

Runner Up: Ms. Nan Bone’s Office

WATER FOUNTAIN: 3rd floor Donnelly

Acceptance speech: “It has good tasting water and it’s very cold. [The water fountain] is also very convenient to the classes up there, because there are a lot of classrooms compared to the rest of the school.” Jillian Gallagher, freshman

Runner Up: 2nd floor M&A

STAIRCASE: Goppert Center stairs leading to gym floor

Acceptance speech: “The [Goppert staircase] is not as busy as the other staircases and they’re much shorter and secluded than the rest. They’re located in a more unique atmosphere that kind of gets you away from the other buildings.” Rachel Edmonds, senior

Runner Up: 1st floor Donnelly

SWEATSHIRT DESIGN: 2010 Art Club

Acceptance speech: “They’re not just typical STA sweatshirts with logos on them, they’re different than that. I like how they look good on everyone and especially like the neutral colors. Plus, I think the owls are cute.” Mary Heiman, sophomore

Runner Up: 2010 Cross Country

VIEW OF CAMPUS: Mr. Kelly Fast’s window

Acceptance speech: “It is really nice because you can see the entire campus. It’s up on the 3rd floor which gives the best view of STA. It will be especially nice when the chapel is built.” Mr. Kelly Fast, literature teacher

Runner Up: Ms. Katie Dolan’s window

DAY TO BE A STAR: Pep rallies

Acceptance speech: “We get to look at people awkwardly dressed up and we get to watch our teachers act funny. It is very upbeat, entertaining and humorous for all of STA.” Emily Taylor, freshman

Runner Up: Thanksgiving advisory parties

PLACE TO EAT: The Commons

Acceptance speech: “Well, you have the three essential F’s: friends, food and fun. Eating [in the Commons] is a break from the school day and you don’t have to worry about anything.” Marianna Messerli, junior

Runner Up: Ms. Mary Montag’s room

FREE TO SLEEP: Ms. Shana Prentiss’ room

Acceptance speech: “I’m not surprised my room is the favorite napping spot. It’s that hot pink carpet. It just draws you in and you just have to cuddle it. Before you know it, you are out like a light, drooling away in dreamland.” Ms. Shana Prentiss, drama teacher

Runner Up: Ms. Mary Montag’s room

FREE TO STUDY: Library

Acceptance speech: “I am glad the students are coming to the library to research and study. Using the library is a good habit to cultivate and it will serve them well not only in college but later in life. Our students are respectful of their classmates’ need for a quiet place to work.” Ms. Jacquelyn Hershewe, librarian

Runner Up: Silent study

FREE TO SOCIALIZE: Ms. Katie Dolan’s room

Acceptance speech: “My classroom does offer a more relaxed environment where students can interact socially to collaboratively work on assignments. As long as the information shared is appropriate, harmless to others and not extremely distracting, I’m comfortable letting students socialize. I feel it adds to the camaraderie and spirit of the student body.” Ms. Katie Dolan, literature teacher

Runner Up: Mr. Craig Whitney’s room