Drew Kasyjanski

Sophomore Drew Kasyjanski finds great reward spending her summer at Camp PALS.

Q: What is Camp Pals?

A: Camp Pals is a program for people with and without down syndrome. It’s like a summer camp where you get paired one to one with someone who has down syndrome. We go to amusement parks and we went to the beach last year. You just hang out with them for the week.

Q: How did you start going to Camp-Pals?

A: My sister works within the disabled community and so she’s gone to camp for a couple years. She leads programs all across the country and so I started going to them once I turned 15. I’m going to my third year this summer.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about Camp-Pals?

A: I think the friendships that are made. It really proves that everyone is so different but you can still be friends with them. Being inclusive is such an important thing especially in this community. Just building those relationships is really important. I still facetime all the people I’ve met and I still talk to them. It’s just building really close friendships with people all across the country.

Q: What keeps you going back to Camp-Pals?

A: I think Pals, for me, is somewhere I can fully be myself and I’m meeting people from all different backgrounds and experiences. I think it’s just a really cool experience. I really enjoy it.

Q: How has Pals changed your thinking?

A: I think it has really shown me that pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is really necessary to grow. I think becoming friends with everyone and with people you wouldn’t normally put yourself in a group with is important to grow and develop because you are seeing all these different perspectives and learning to be open minded.

Q: Would you recommend Camp-Pals?

A: I tell all my friends to sign up! I’ve convinced a couple of my friends to sign up for this summer and I highly recommend it. It is truly the best week of my life every year!