In the spirit of Christmas

In the spirit of Christmas

The stuffing’s finally out of your fridge and the turkey celebration is over. That’s right, pull out your ladder and lights: it’s time to deck the halls.
Thought slapping a strand of lights and wreath to the front door made you the festive house on the block? Think again. For 45 years, Mike Babick has created his own full-scale winter wonderland. In his front yard.
Each year, Babick adds to the elaborate display he runs from Thanksgiving to New Years. Yards of lights, reindeer, nativity scenes and little Santas cover the lawn and roof. When the lights come on, its hard to tell there’s a house under there. Babick even expects as many as 250,000 visitors each season.
If you want to check out the decorations yourself, join the masses and head down to 76th and Falmouth in Prairie Village.
But there’s a catch to the Christmas cheer. The nightly crowds block off driveways, clog the street and draw angry complaints from neighbors. Neighbors insist the display is disruptive and troublesome.
So what do you think? Is it Babick’s right to deck out his yard or do the neighbors deserve a break? Comment below and let me know what you think!
Or contact me with questions/suggesions at [email protected].