The Real Housewives of reality television

The Real Housewives series began on the television network Bravo with five of housewives from Orange County. The show exposed the daily life behind the fabulous gated community in southern California. More than forty housewives and six cities later, and Bravo recently came back to California, except just a little farther north in the fabulous Beverly Hills.

‘The Real Housewives’ series has been a staple in my television life since the first season. However, it has quickly received a back seat to other shows with much more substance and quality. I promise, the show has not always been this bad. Beverly Hills is a horrible example of what the show has turned into. There were days when this was the most wildly entertaining show on television, simply because you could mock the ridiculous things these wealthy women would do. Now, Bravo has multiplied their housewives resulting in scripted scenes and clearly set up ‘feuds’ just to attain the same popularity they once had with this reality television show.

Orange County

‘The Real Housewives of Orange County’ was one of the classic reality shows in TV at the time. The viewer could see the housewives and their family waking up in the morning, eating family dinner, and everything in between. Although their entire life was not shown, the parts that were displayed appeared to be reality. That is what reality television is suppose to be right?

I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next with Jeana and her wild teenage kids. I loved seeing Lori find her ‘sugar daddy’ and finally marry a man that could buy her anything she wanted, including a limited edition Mercedes convertible. I could never forget Vicki. There is no faking the fact that she is a crazy control freak but just works really hard and deserves every penny she earns.

I miss you Orange County. At least I could somewhat believe that each woman’s life wasn’t just faked to be on a television show.

New York

From left, Bethenny, LuAnn, Alex, Jill, Kelly, and Ramona pose as the "The Real Housewives of New York City." The reality television show has finished its third season on Bravo.

“The Real Housewives of New York City” is without a doubt my favorite series. I had been a fan of the show in its early seasons, but when Bravo decided to shift coasts, I became officially hooked. For all you housewife fanatics, I know there are many debates about which city is the best. People try to convince me otherwise, but I will always believe that NYC is the best place to be a housewife. To a certain extent, each woman works for their wealth, has accomplished something significant in their life, and just happen to be extremely entertaining for a television show. Unlike the rest of the housewives on Bravo, these women actually look real!

Bethenny’s wit is hilarious, Ramona’s crazy remarks keeps me intrigued, Alex has the mos

t unique family (and husband), LuAnn’s constant reminder of her class is entertaining, Jill is just fabulous, and Kelly is just a victim of systematic bullying. So these women are in no way perfect or the best idols for teenage girls. However, the mix of the strong personalities and endearing charm, ‘TRH of New York’ takes the cake in my book. Let’s just say I was more than a little bit excited when Bethenny came out with a show all about her.

Whoops, I missed one last housewife, Simon. How could I have forgotten? Those red leather pants and impeccable fashion sense is something all housewives look up to.

Atlanta

My first dislike for the series all started with “The Real Housewives of Atlanta.” Ever since NeNe and her posse of professional athlete housewives came into the picture, the quality of this already borderline trashy television show has gone steeply down hill.

I do admire Kim for beginning the trend of ‘housewife music.’ She recorded her first single and chose to display the process on national television (despite the fact that she has no idea how awful it sounded). It’s okay Kim, we can’t all sing like Mariah Carey, most of us just choose not to try in front of millions of viewers.

New Jersey

While Bravo made a small come back introducing the mafia women on “The Real Housewives of New Jersey”, the quality and authenticity of each woman was clearly decreasing. Although entertaining, it became very hard to believe that so many women had such a strong hatred for Danielle when she was not getting into anyone’s business. So Danielle had a rough past, but there was absolutely no reason for the family to create this villain except for the sake of reality television. There has to be someone to the women can all talk about behind her back, right?

But without a doubt, this Italian family gave viewers the most quotable season. ‘Let me tell a-tell you somethin’ about our family. We are as thick as thieves and will protect each other to the end.’ (I can do quite the impression of the mafia mother Caroline.) But who could forget the classic flipping of the dinner table? Bravo is simply trying to show us a typical Italian meal, spaghetti and all.

Washington D.C.

“The Real Housewives of Washington D.C.” was so bad that I forgot to even include them in this blog originally. I don’t care if they are politicians wives, they should be focusing more on using that political influence to help people around our country than running around on a reality television show. Please, stop wasting your time forcing yourself into the White House for dinner with the President just to get your five minutes of fame. It is already over.

Beverly Hills

I thought that the California housewives of Orange County were a little ridiculous, wait until you see these plastic, blond women from “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills”. These six women are wealthier than everyone in the state of Missouri combined. Bravo, you have disappointed me. I used to be addicted to these classic reality television shows and now I am just embarrassed I used to call ‘The Real Housewives’ one of my favorite shows. These women have received more botox and plastic surgery than any Hollywood star I know. It is just plain disgusting.

From left, Camille, Taylor, Lisa, Adrienne, Kyle, and Kim are all on the reality show "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills." It recently previewed on the television network Bravo.

I now cringe when I turn on the television and see this show. I know it is all fake and I know these women are purely acting. I miss the days when reality TV actually showed the reality of someone’s life, not a scripted and manipulated version of wealthy women running around Beverly Hills. In my eyes, ‘TRH’ has lost its sparkle.

Any minute Bravo will announce its next series. The Real Housewives of Mission Hills? The Real Housewives of Johnson County? The Real Housewives of Lee’s Summit? I hope for the sake of the Midwest that the show doesn’t last long enough to make it here.